Skinning question

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Skinning question

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:42 pm

I am just beginning to try to mount a few ducks. I was woundering if you can skin the duck out and then refreeze the skin until you get ready to mount and if you can, is there some special way to freeze it? Any advice will be appreciated..
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:29 pm

As long as you kept it cool and made quick work of the skinning, I wouldn't see why not. I'd just put it back in a wal-mart bag or two and lay it flat. Shouldn't be that big of a deal.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby bird man » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:37 am

I skin all of mine and degrease and wash and then refreeze. When i get several ready then i just mount.
bird man
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:23 am

I'm with Bird man. I skin, flesh, and wash, then I freeze them in water, then I vacuum wrap them. They will last for a real long time kept this way.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

freezing

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:57 am

When you freeze them in water, do you completely cover them. Like put them in a bag and fill the bag with water and freeze it or what?
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby Yellowdog38 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:46 am

I skin, flesh, & wash in batches and then refreeze. As Pete said, I freeze in water also, but I do not have a vaccum sealer so I just use Ziploc freezer bags. I use the water on my personal birds only, they may stay in the freezer 3-4 years before I can get to them. On client birds that will only stay frozen 2-3 months, they go straight into a freezer bag. I have no problem with freezer burn doing them this way. The purpose of the water is to keep air away from the birds skin. The air is what causes freezer burn.
Yellowdog38
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:43 pm

Ditto what Yellowdog said. I completely cover my birds, then (after frozen in a block) Vacuum wrap them. A skinned bird can be put in a freezer bag, and be safe for a few months easy. If it was fleshed, then I'd suggest leaving it wet after you wash it to avoid dehydration and freezer burn.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby StormWidgeon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:56 pm

I just do my own birds but I skin and flesh them. Wash them then wrap them in a paper towel and vacume seal. The paper towel will catch the water long enough so that the sealer will seal it. The paper towel will be completely wet inside the vacume sealed bag. Then I toss it in the freezer.
StormWidgeon
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum