My First Mount!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

My First Mount!

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:36 pm

Thursday night I went to my friend Matt's house. He is a local taxidermist and the biologist for the base I work at. Thursday nights are "bird nights" where people come in and prep birds for the Audubon Society. He told me to come out and bring a duck because I had mentioned I'd like to learn before I deployed.

Thursday night I skinned and fleshed a bufflehead. Fleshing was done with scissors (very interesting to say the least) and this took about 3 hours. Today I went back to his house and he showed/assisted/let me do most of the work on my first mount while he worked on a client's bird. We built the bodies with excelsior (I think that's what it's called) and he taught me how to build necks as well. There are other techniques and methods out there that I'm sure I will try, but I'm pretty happy with the results Matt helped me achieve.

Mind you, this is not dry and will still need to be primped and painted, but here is my first mount. Questions, Comments, Concerns, Critiques are always welcome.

There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: My First Mount!

Postby bknilvr00 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Excellent!

Sent from my space modulator.
bknilvr00
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:41 pm

bknilvr00 wrote:Excellent!

Sent from my space modulator.

It's a good start...I'll just leave it at that. Sewing the head is a challenge and his crown isn't quite right.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:59 pm

What did you sew on the head? I typically have one incision along the breast.
tam9492
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:11 pm

tam9492 wrote:What did you sew on the head? I typically have one incision along the breast.

I used the organic skull as the head. I made an incision about 1" down the back of the head/neck in order to clean the skull and remove the fat/muscle/brain tissues. If I was using an artificial head I would've just cut out the front of the face.
Cougar125
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Gotcha :thumbsup:
tam9492
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:40 pm

Looking at some of the tutorials on taxidermy.net, the guys that use the original head superglue the incision back together after rebuilding the head/neck junction with clay. My question to some of you others out there that use the real heads is how do you do your head? Do you remove it and put it back in like an artificial head or do you do the incision down the back of the head/neck to invert it? Do you sew it back up or superglue it?
Cougar125
hunter

Postby duxrus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:46 am

I make a cut down the back of the neck, starting at the base of the skull and then invert everything. Once you are ready to close it up, I sew it closed about half way, then insert the skull back inside. By doing about half of the sewing while it is still inverted it makes keeping feathers out of the seam alot easier. (Note: I only use the skull plate and not the entire skull so the entire skull won't fit if you try sewing it half shut first). I would NOT try the gluing the seam shut until you have MANY birds under your belt and still wouldn't chance an oops myself. Since it only takes maybe a minute or two (tops) to sew it closed why chance making a major issue ? The number one thing to remember when sewing the seam closed is to NOT pull tight. I leave it VERY loose and slack. On ducks, sewing is only to hold the skin in place until it dries so a tight stitch isn't ever needed (IMO) If you pull the head and neck tight, the feathers will end up being a preening nightmare. In most cases making it impossible to get them smooth. By leaving it loose you still have the ability to adjust where as being tight or glued leaves you little to no flexibility.

From the appearance of your buffie's head it looks like you pulled it tight because of the way the feathers look to be fighting against each other along the rear of the head/neck juncture. You did a dam find job on a first bird so be proud. I only wish my first attempt had looked like a duck when I finished :lol3:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 am

duxrus wrote:From the appearance of your buffie's head it looks like you pulled it tight because of the way the feathers look to be fighting against each other along the rear of the head/neck juncture.

Bingo. Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:
Cougar125
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:45 am

P.M. sent :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby tc_firefighter311 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Looks good for your first. There is always room to improve. Hang with it and you will have it down in no time.
tc_firefighter311
hunter

Postby bamahuntnfool » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Good job!
bamahuntnfool
hunter

Postby imateamroper2 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:24 pm

That's awesome.its a lil off ,but a great first bird.primp it up .lets see it polished and finished,with a picture.gj :thumbsup:
imateamroper2
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum