Frozen birds?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Frozen birds?

Postby C&T Choppin Crew » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:54 pm

Just wanted to know how long you could hold a frozen bird I have a really nice drake mallard i want to get mounted its been froze for about a week how long can i keep it before its no good.

Thanks
C&T Choppin Crew
C&T Choppin Crew
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:19 pm

This has been covered, but here we go. Are you going to get it mounted? If yes, then get it to your taxidermist. The longer it sits in you freezer, the more likely it won't end up on your wall. It's not like you have to fork over a ton of money for a deposit, and it's unlikely that he'll have it completed for you in a real short time, so you'll have time to drum up the few bucks needed to pay for the mount.

If you are going to have it in your freezer for a while, then at least put it in a couple freezer bags. Wrap wet paper-towel around the feet to keep them from drying out. I like to freeze it on the rack, then use a vacuum sealer and wrap it with that. The reason I would freeze it first, is you'll draw the blood out of the specimen if you vac it while it's soft. This also applies to the thawing process as well, if you were to leave it under vac while thawing, it will also draw the blood out of the shot holes.

Your bird is still fine, and will probably be fine for a couple months (or longer) if left unwrapped, but why take the risk? If you really want to get it mounted, then get it to the guy who's actually going to take care of it. The other thing nice about getting it out of your freezer is, that once it's at the taxidermist, it doesn't count against your possession limit. :thumbsup:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:14 pm

I've had my drake pintail in my freezer for about a year. A taxidermist I know says as long as the feet don't dry out then it will be fine. Unfortunately he's quite a drive for me, hence the year. A good taxidermist can polish a turd!
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:57 am

If the feet start to dry, that's a good indication that the rest of the bird is drying as well, so that's a fair, but vague statement. If you were to throw a duck in the freezer, (unwrapped) and were to wrap it's feet in frozen paper towel, that wouldn't be a fair statement, because the feet would remain hydrated and the body wouldn't. Besides, I'd rather have a duck that had dry feet rather than a dry body. You can rehydrate feet. I've done birds that have all but dried out completely, and let me tell you that the fat on the bird becomes very thick, and turning the head and wings on the bird becomes very difficult! The grease becomes very pastey, and doesn't want to leave the feather butts when fleshing. I worked on a Canvasback that was so old that it had been shot with lead shot. I know that it was a diver, and they do have more viscous fat -VS- a dabbler like your Pintail, but I worked on that bird for two days rehydrating and degreasing, and it still wouldn't come completely clean. So if I was you MossyGO!, I'd take the drive and get that trophy to your Taxidermist, so he doesn't have to polish a turd! :laughing:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:15 pm

Hey Pete,
I didn't mean to downgrade what you do, I know taxidermy isn't easy, as far as ducks are concerned anyway. I have my pintail triple wrapped in freezer bags with the whole duck paper towel wrapped. I know I need to get it done but my buck was a priority and I can't scrape up the money for my duck. So, once again, I'm sorry if I offended you and other taxidermists. And C&T, sorry if I hijacked your thread!
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:29 am

I was not offended at all. I just didn't want someone to feel that their trophy was safe in the freezer for an extended period of time.

We're cool! :thumbsup:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum