Here is a stupid question....

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Here is a stupid question....

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Do birds at the taxidermist count against your total possession limit?
BurnettGunner
hunter

Re: Here is a stupid question....

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:17 pm

Are they in your possession?
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby BBK » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:16 pm

No, when you dropped the birds off and ordered the mount you legally transferred possession over to him.
BBK
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:42 am

BurnettGunner wrote:Do birds at the taxidermist count against your total possession limit?

However, once you get the mount back, they do count.... :sarcmark:
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:30 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
BurnettGunner wrote:Do birds at the taxidermist count against your total possession limit?

However, once you get the mount back, they do count.... :sarcmark:

All you have to do though is to have your wife give you a penny for it. There, you sold it and it is no longer in your possession.
Last edited by BBK on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBK
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:19 pm

:sarcmark: is the new DHC sarcasm mark....
I was completely kidding..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Slack Tide wrote::sarcmark: is the new DHC sarcasm mark....
I was completely kidding..

Okay
Last edited by BBK on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBK
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:16 pm

Once a bird is mounted, it is no longer part of your possession. Once a bird is at the taxidermist's house he takes temporary possession, and the bird does not count against your possession nor his.

Is this the answer you were looking for?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:46 pm

BBK wrote:All you have to do though is to have your wife give you a penny for it. There, you sold it and it is no longer in your possession.

I know you guys were kidding around, but for those that don't know, migratory birds cannot be bought/sold. Even individual feathers cannot be used in craft projects, such as on dream catchers, and sold.

However, game farm raised waterfowl can be bought/sold.
'JaminC'mon
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Jeees... I was just busting balls with what I thought was a dopey question.....who knew?
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:01 pm

'JaminC'mon wrote:
BBK wrote:All you have to do though is to have your wife give you a penny for it. There, you sold it and it is no longer in your possession.

I know you guys were kidding around, but for those that don't know, migratory birds cannot be bought/sold. Even individual feathers cannot be used in craft projects, such as on dream catchers, and sold.

However, game farm raised waterfowl can be bought/sold.

Taxidermy can be. :beer:
BBK
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:23 pm

BBK, taxidermy can be sold, but wild shot birds mounted or freshly killed cannot be bought or sold. That is a Federal rule. Not even for a penny.

I don't think this was part of the original poster's question, but since it was brought up, I thought I'd share the facts. It can be gidted and that eliminates any wrong doings.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Only the meat :thumbsup:

Feathers are not included in the migratory bird act, it is up to each individual state to set the regulation on selling of hide and feathers. I know here it is illegal, but somewhere out east it is perfectly legal. I had the discussion with a friend and he sent me the direct info from his states regulations that said sales of feathers from waterfowl was legal. Surprised me because like you, I thought the whole carcass was protected federally.

Where I live it is illegal to send squirrel tails to mepps for credit towards trout spinners :hammer:
BBK
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Well, I will bluntly tell you that your information is incorrect. The only feathers that can be sold are for fly tying and forms of pillow making and quilts such as down. I cannot remember the exact wording, and I'm only typing on my smart phone right now, so cutting and pasting is not an option for me at this minute. In addition these feathers must be individual feathers detached from skin. I certainly believe the intent of the Lacey Act was to protect the resource itself, and now it is buggered up to the point that they don't want profit made from almost any part of a migratory bird.....yes including meat.....as in market hunting from the days of old. The rules may seem archaic, but they are current and not going away anytime soon.

I am on my cell right now, and could send you a link to the 50 CFR's section 20 (when I get to my computer) that will make you call your buddy and inform him how wrong he was. You can otherwise search it yourself and read it for yourself. I would not give you false information. Trust me! State regulations cannot supercede Federal rules but can however be more stringent.

You can tell me what you think you know and I will tell you what I actually know for fact. I don't think anyone is selling waterfowl......for even a penny, but if someone was reading this, I want them to have the correct information is all, and yours is not.

Someone else will back my statement, but I hope you take a few minutes and read it for yourself after a quick internet search.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:41 pm

Our conversation was about fly tying. Why else would you sell duck feathers?
BBK
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Good answer lol! Eyes rolling
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BBK » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:01 pm

He's actually a pretty big deal out in NJ I think it is. He was asking me about buying duck feathers from hunters and I mentioned that it was illegal, he set me straight. :rolleyes:
BBK
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:26 pm

BBK wrote:He's actually a pretty big deal out in NJ I think it is. He was asking me about buying duck feathers from hunters and I mentioned that it was illegal, he set me straight. :rolleyes:

I think your "pretty big deal" friend from NJ might be named Soprano with a statement like that. Have him read 50 CFR 20.11 and see what he thinks. Unless the seller has a permit, it is a federal crime.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum