I have a question for you experienced taxidermists

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

I have a question for you experienced taxidermists

Postby Coot Man » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:21 am

I have been messing around with taxidermy now for about a year as a hobby. Self-taught guy who has finished a drake mallard and I have a speckled belly goose in the drying stage right now. The duck is flying, and the speckled has his feet down and wings back, preparing to land.

My question is that I really wanted my speckled belly to be a standing pose, but I couldn't get the wings to tuck naturally and "disappear" and look natural. Can anyone help me with some hints or suggestion on how to make this happen? I am using a light guage wire for flexibility and removing the humorus (spelling?) bone out on the non flying poses, but the wing has a tendancy to sit on top of the feathers, and looks very unnatural.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:14 pm

You need to find the "wing pocket". If you notice the row of feathers that your wing was wanting to sit on rather than sitting in, those are the feathers I'm referring to. I have cut a relief in the actual form so it has a recess in the form allowing it to sit deeper towards the body. Also you can eliminate the fine wire all together, by taking some floral wire and threading both wings together through the form using a long Needle to achieve this. I'm giving you a brief over-view, and expect you'll have a few questions, so feel free to ask more specific questions where you may not be understanding. You will need to take the wing and pull away from the pocket (towards the tail) and drive them downwards towards the breast a bit.

But the best advice I can give you is to use your search button, and look for relaxed sitting position geese and ducks. If you pay close attention to details, you'll realize that the birds really have their primary feathers laying over one-another and are probably tighter than you laid yours. Next time you have a freshly killed bird in hand, manipulate the wing till it allows you to find this pocket I'm referring to. using a reference is priceless!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:04 pm

pete has some good ideas i still use the full wing bone , but i also wrap my bodies. bby building my own i am able to recreate the pocket that mother nature put there. i use light guage wire thru the wing as though i were going to mount it flying. i also skin my birds thru the back this also helps when putting the wings in the proper place on the body.

lee

idenify before you shoot(keeps ya legal) :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Coot Man » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:36 am

Pete and Lee, great advice!!! Thanks for your help. I will keep this in mind and continue to work on it. Thanks again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:47 am

:salude: if i can be of any further help let me know

lee

idenify before you shoot(keeps ya legal) :thumbsup: :smile:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum