Need help!!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Need help!!

Postby MNkid7 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:00 pm

To make a long story short is it possible to have a taxidermist mount a breasted out bird? I shot a swan and breasted it out to clean thinking I wouldn't be able to get it mounted but that change. I didn't pluck any feathers just opens up the skin and separated the skin for the meat from the top of the cheat to where the breast end. Thanks in advance!
MNkid7
hunter

Re: Need help!!

Postby Page » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:12 am

Yes. You could still have it mounted. If you made a nice clean incision, you should be fine. Your taxi should be able to determine if you damaged it or not.
Page
hunter

Postby hdunn49 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:17 pm

x2
hdunn49
hunter

Postby MNkid7 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks for the responses!
MNkid7
hunter

Postby AAR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Just depends how clean the incision was. I have had to mount a few that were cleaned before and they weren't sure if they would mount it at the time. Problem is when people generally clean birds they cut a little and rip away the skin from the breast. So you end up with many large tears along what should be a straight line. This leads to a lot of issues with ripping further and difficulty fleshing and tumbling prior to mounting. You may have very well sliced him open like a surgeon, from my experience the amount of extra sewing was substantial. Either way though, only way to know is get the taxidermist to see it first hand and make a call. Worse case is you avoid a belly showing pose.

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum