canvasback mounted

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

canvasback mounted

Postby NS39340 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:15 pm

this mornin i shot my first canvasback and i want to have it mounted. i talked to a guy that said he had won all kinds of awards and he is judging nationals for taxedermy. he charged $225...........sound good?
NS39340
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:25 pm

sounds great i would have it done but here in idaho you should be able able to get it done for like half that but i guess you get what you paay for when getting birds mounted
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby HUMBOLDT HUNTER » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:56 pm

That is pretty good considering that my brother paid $250 to get his mallard stuffed by a 5x world champion waterfowl taxidermest.
HUMBOLDT HUNTER
hunter

Postby terryg » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:37 pm

check out my can mount on the honey hole page. this was done by a falla in klamath for $135.
terryg
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:35 pm

i dunno wut u guys r talkin about but NO! I got a beautiful shoveler drake mount for 150! :thumbsup: pm me for the guys number he lives in oklahoma. Really good taxidermist.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby duck hunter cam » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:17 pm

Sounds great there Bud. :salude:
It's only sky busting if u miss.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:36 pm

One of my best friends owns a tax. shop and I watch him mount waterfowl all the time. He charges around $200 for ducks, and thats cheap for an OUTSTANDING job. If you guys are paying less than that, you better be watching how the bird is CLEANED of ALL fat and meat on the inside of the bird carcass. What is the guy using to preserve the inside, what is he using to clean it, is he using a fake head/beak (last longer and look better) or the shot up one from the bird? Is he cleaning ALL wing bones of meat, fat, tendons etc..? Probably not. How will you know? You'll know in a few years when you are trying to find out what that smell is around the house. Birds are the hardest thing to get clean and the hardest thing to get to look right, as he tells me. It all looks difficult to me. I've seen what it takes to get quality work on waterfowl, it's NOT an easy job. If you are paying cheap,and the taxidermist is not a good friend, you're probably getting cheap. You pay for what ya get.
Pete, you could interject some thought and reasoning on this one.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:53 pm

Not much I can really add to that! You're dead on when you say it is difficult to mount a bird that will truely look good for a lifetime. I will say that the price of a bird mount depends on a few things. One is whether the guy mounting it is a hobbiest taxidermist or a full time taxidermist. The guy trying to make a living at it has to put out semi inferior work at a cheaper price or put out a high quality piece of work at a much higher price. The latter is the one I choose. Most importantly though you have to check out the guys work. Other variables depend on the location and the market share. I happen to live in an area with 20 taxidermists within 20 miles of me. There are 2 taxidermy schools as well, only five and 15 minutes from my house. You could say that the market is flooded, therefore the price for a mount in this locale is around 150 to 200 dollars. I have a friend who is a bird taxidermist in Massachusettes and another in Maryland, and their isn't many other taxidermists in their area so they can charge about 300 dollars for a mount out there. the last thing that can bring up the price is the cost of living in the area you're from. If I lived in Chicago I would charge as much as I wanted. The actual cost of supplies is not much, at most 50 dollars. (top end supplies like the head body and glass eyes) I will say as I have in the past on other posts, that it is hard work. The skin is as fragile as the toilet tissue, and people who don't know a thing about plummage bring in some horrible specimens to get mounted. One thing around here that I see is that everyone wants to get that Wood Duck mounted. I have to admit that they are beautiful birds, but they fly south so early that the only ones that people bring in are the ones full of pin feathers, Real pieces of crap, so don't think your bird won't be replaced without you knowing about it! Wink Wink Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:59 pm

Straight from the horses mouth! Thanks Pete.
:thumbsup:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:35 pm

I had a wood duck double on the last day of the season, that is about as good as you can get on the plumage :mrgreen:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:06 pm

i shot to Canvasbacks in one shot, got em back. :salude:
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:34 pm

Oh ya....I knocked down 4 Snows with one shot! :toofunny:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:02 pm

:toofunny: i did 2 last Sunday while they were feeding out in a corn field.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:32 pm

Yep, my friends and I call it "bowling". :toofunny:
huntmq1
hunter

Postby duck hunter cam » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:06 pm

:toofunny: :laughing: LMFAO.
duck hunter cam
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum