Question for Exp. Taxidermists

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Question for Exp. Taxidermists

Postby matchbook454 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:33 pm

I am getting started in learning taxidermy, primarily waterfowl and upland birds. I found a breeder to get pen raised birds from since they would be easier to learn on than shot up birds. I found a guy that had pinioned mallards that he would give me for practically nothing and wasn't sure if they would be ok for standing mounts or not. What do you guys think? I'm just not 100% sure what bone they clip and which feathers would be missing. Since I have no experience I am also not sure how visible those feathers would be on a standing bird.
Also, I have come accross a few videos that are out there but am not sure which ones would be best. Any reccomendations?
matchbook454
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:05 pm

Pinioned birds usually only have one wing clipped. The primary feathers are the ones being clipped (the fingers on the wing). Is it visible? Yes, a bit. On a standing mount it is less visible, and usually the mount has the pinioned wing facing away from the viewer or at the wall. When a duck is in a sitting position, there really isn't much wing showing. Just a bit of the speculum, and the tips of the wings that lay near the tail. The leading edge is almost completely hidden.

I wasn't trained using videos, so I really don't have any first hand knowledge, but a few key names to look for are Dave Luke, Stephen Savides, Frank Newmeyer, and Corey Caruthers to name a few. If you go to taxidermy.net, you will find a beginners section that can help you find videos, and even answer a few questions. There is also a bird section, but too many elitests in there right now for a beginner :laughing: . Use the search button first, then ask your question, and of course feel free to ask ANY question here, and I'd be glad to help to the best of my ability. If you think your question is too dumb, then send me (or any of the other Moderators) a PM, and we'll try and answer. If you post on here, it may be a question that another newbie would like to ask, but doesn't want to put himself out there, and it may just help someone else.

Good luck,

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby matchbook454 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:09 pm

Thanks Pete. I'm going to get a few of those mallards then and get to work. I'm very detail oriented and meticulis because of my job and am also a fairly quick learner so I'm hoping that I pick up taxidermy relatively easily. We'll see though! Thanks again for the help!
matchbook454
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:39 pm

Birds are what I know, but if you were to poll a group of taxidermists, I'm not so sure if they'd pick birds as their preference?

I'd say you're number one deal that's going to make or break you as a bird taxidermist (either hobbyist or professional) is going to be the fleshing process. Besides upland birds, sea ducks, and divers, most birds have a great deal of fat and very thin skin. If you don't have a motorized (fine-brushed) flesher, you're probably going to tear a few holes. If you're not, then your not removing enough fat, and the grease leakage is another story.

It can definitely be done. everyone started at the bottom. Do you have any friends (that are taxidermists) that would be willing to show you a few things? I can guarantee this is the quickest way to make an enemy out of a friend, especially if you have more talent than your teacher. :toofunny: The first time you tell him that you're thinking about making a few bucks on the side, that's usually when things turn ugly. :thumbsdown:

Best of luck,

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckhunter052002 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:46 pm

:toofunny: pete you alwys have good advice....i agree with you 100%, but like you i prefer to work on birds.

lee

idenify before you shoot(keeps ya legal) :thumbsup: :smile:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum