blue goose mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

blue goose mount

Postby loon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:42 pm

I have a beautiful blue goose I want to mount anybody have any photos of mounts they like ? I am leaning toward a flying mount (takes up less space) . Please give me ideas guys photos would be really helpful Thanks
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby Coot Man » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:26 am

I just finished a speckle belly mount. When I was looking for a pose I thumbed through my Ducks Unlimited Magazines. I usually go there first at some point they have usually hi-lighted each species giving you multiple close up pictures. Good Luck.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:03 am

Ross goose with snow covered winter wheat on a cedar base. I built the base for under $15 and about 3-4 hours work.
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=321843&c=568&z=1"]Image[/url]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=321846&c=500&z=1"]Image[/url]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=321849&c=568&z=1"]Image[/url]
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:28 am

hey hunter1, how did u make that base. i would like to make my own base since my taxis never seem to get what i want. i really want to know how got that snow to look so real.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:12 pm

Quarter inch plywood cut to whatever size you decide for the base. This plywood was attached to the cedar base frame I made. I then marked off the "planted" rows, about 3-4 inches apart. Then I drilled small hole's about 2 inches apart on the marked off rows. This is where the wheat will be "planted". I went to my local hobby store, Hobby Lobby. In the flowers and plant section they carry a bag of pre dyed shaved cedar. I made small stocks and taped the bottom together. I made many of these and they kinda look like a small broom. I put them in the holes and glued them in. I then took garden soil and mixed in some latex caulk. Makes a soil paste. I used my fingers to spread it around the base and around the wheat stocks. Attached the goose through predrilled holes. Then I used a fake snow and sprinkled it on the wheat field. You can get it at the hobby store or from a taxidermy supply. The snow will set down on the wheat and look pretty real. I then used a clear coat rattle can to lightly over spray the snow. Be sure not to get it to close or it will blow the snow off. I lightly misted it from about 16-18 inches.
Thats about it. I was more than pleased with how it turned out.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

blu goose

Postby loon » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:05 pm

That snow looks great but I'm leaning toward flying mount . Anybody got any flying mount goose photos? thanks
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Return to Taxidermy Forum