ringneck

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

ringneck

Postby scottshillhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:34 pm

im looking to mount a real pretty ringneck i shot last week sitting or flying is the question pics would be great

thanks
scottshillhunter
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:40 pm

I would probably get him sitting, grooming himself with his beak.
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:11 pm

Ringnecks are one of those ducks you can pull off sitting or flying and still look good, I went with flying for this guy
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby woodduckhunter » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:16 pm

That is a good looking flying mount. I like his landing gear down. :thumbsup:
woodduckhunter
hunter

Postby Coot Man » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:38 am

I would get a hold of some waterfowl magazines and look at reference pictures and see what you prefer. In my opinion both standing and flying poses look good. I personally try to make sure that most of my drakes I do or have done are showing off their pretty plumage. For example my Speckle belly goose I have flying ready to touch down where his breast and stomach can easily be displayed. I personally wouldn't put him in a swimming pose.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby gunner7848 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:40 pm

im getting my done flying like this one look at this web http://www.birdmanstudios.com

Last edited by gunner7848 on Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 season
1 TURKEY-1-10" BEARD
WALLEYE:
BOATED-176
Me-78
GEESE-34
DUCK-58
BANDS-3
My favorite duck and goose call timber call and Michigander by David Lewis
gunner7848
hunter

Postby scottshillhunter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:29 pm

thanks all for responses i belive i am going to try the flying mount i love the way ring necks lock up from a mile up and come in want to try and capture this in this mount however i am a beginer this will probably turn out and be a learning experience but who knows :salude:
scottshillhunter
hunter

Postby duck jerky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:08 pm

awesome mount.
duck jerky
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:43 pm

That birdman flying mount is great! Thats gotta be the most mature ringneck drake I've ever seen. I wonder if the ring on the neck is touched up with an airbrush? I did my own ringnecks standing. It's hard to get divers to look right flying, it takes an experienced taxi. to make them look right.
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=427546&c=568&z=1"]Image[/url]
[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=427555&c=500&z=1"]Image[/url]

:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:49 pm

huntmq1,

I'm sure that Todd Huffman from Birdman Studios doesn't ordinarily have shot birds that he displays as his studio pieces. That bird is definitely mature, but more than that, it's just in better plumage than locally harvested birds typically are. Just due to the fact that our season dates end in January at the latest, (early December here) while a farm raised Ring-neck like that bird there, was probably put down for taxidermy purposes in the month of March or April. Cost? Anywhere from $150 to $300 depending on the quality of each and every feather. I will also tell you that you should be very pleased with the plumage of your three-bird display of your Ringers as well, and if I haven't told you this before, than here we go again. Your mounts look fantastic. Especially for the fact that you aren't pursuing this as an occupation. :thumbsup:

If anyone wants to purchase any great looking birds like that for a display, or just for the fact that you don't harvest a particular species in your state, I have a guy who raises nearly any species of waterfowl, from the not-so-plain Wood Duck all the way to Harlequin or King Eiders. As low as $50 for the Woody, and upwards of $2500 to $3000 for the Harlequin and Kings.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:30 pm

Thanks Pete! Always appreciated.
I didn't think of the "pen raised" idea, I suppose those birds do look better than wild birds. Lifes not as hard I would guess!
You mentioned my three ring necks. I'll tell ya how I get the most mature drakes, I let them all land, pick out the most mature drake, if there are any mature birds, in the bunch...get them up and ....BOOM! When I hunt, I'm like you I suppose, always looking for the one specific bird.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:39 pm

I believe it's O.K. as a taxidermist to actually swat those birds instead of allowing them to fly first. :laughing: I'm not too proud to take an exceptional bird when it lands in the decoys. It usually has a lot less damage. I hate fixing wings. I know there are people who are very adamant about only taking flying shots, and to be perfectly honest, I prefer that as well, but I look at it like this; Turkey come walking into the decoys, and we swat them. :toofunny:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:34 pm

Thats how I look at it. If I stand up and show myself while pointing a shotgun at ya and you don't fly away fast enough, hey not my problem! :toofunny:
I agree though, less damage to birds on the water. I guess between feathers and water in the way of the shot, that all absords alot of possible damage.
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum