white front mount

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

white front mount

Postby valleyhunter » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:46 pm

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice from you pros. I have hunted for most of my life and have a few ducks and a honker mounted. I shot a great looking speck, it's breast is almost solid black. I want to have it mounted but I am not sure if I should have it in a flying/cupped wing pose or standing/feeding habitat pose. Any advice from those of you who have mounted specs would be great.

Thanks
valleyhunter
hunter

Postby speckslayer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:02 pm

i have always found that specks look best when mounted cupped up.
three shots, three kills!!!!

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:23 am

I agree. White-fronts don't really have a lot going for them, with exception to their breast, so I'd display it as best as possible. I like the thought of wings back as if it's making it's final flap or two as it lands. I usually don't have many opinions when it comes to positioning, because I think every mount (done properly) is just fine.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Coot Man » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 am

I am by no means a professional taxidermist, but I just finished a speck I got this year in Canada, and like you I wanted to hi-light this beatiful bird. I chose to put my speck in a landing pose. His landing gear are down with both wing stretched straight up behind him and his neck and head are positioned as if he were looking down at the point of touch down. I am very happy with the way he turned out. If I can figure out how to scan a picture and post it here on the site I will get it up for you to see.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Postby IndyWingmaster » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:10 pm

The breast feathers are cool, but if you look at the wings. The top sides are very neat with two shades of gray and dark charcoal primaries with bright white shafts. I shot two in Indiana this season. I am mounting them both, but one is going to be cupped up and the other is going to be wings back and mouth open.
So we probably should have brought our guns.
IndyWingmaster
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:19 pm

beatin a dead horse eh?
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

best view

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:49 pm

If it's a real good Black-breasted bird IMO they look best cupped and coming in. Like these.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby IndyWingmaster » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:56 am

What I was trying to say is that the back of the wings are also very showy. Having a mount with the wings back shows the breast and the backs of the wings.
So we probably should have brought our guns.
IndyWingmaster
hunter

Re: best view

Postby diggerduck » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:08 am

The Waterfowler wrote:If it's a real good Black-breasted bird IMO they look best cupped and coming in. Like these.

Starting to think Waterfowler is just showing off.... :rofl: just kidding, once again, nice mounts
No Trespassing:
Violators will be shot
Survivors will be violated
diggerduck
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum