Which is the best taxidermy book?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Which is the best taxidermy book?

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:33 am

I have a cinnamon teal drake and hooded merganser that have been in the freezer entirely too long... What's the best book you guys can recommend and the best place to buy supplies?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Re: Which is the best taxidermy book?

Postby duxrus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:58 am

I would shy away from books unless they are used with other learning sources (videos/taxidermy lessons). Videos show the actual action of how to do this or that where as looking at a simple picture doesn't. If you did go that route Frank Newmyer has a few nice manuals for bird taxidermy......but most books.manuals, and even videos are OLD with few being current.

Youtube has a lot of videos so I suggest going there for a look to see if you even feel up to tackleing such a project before spending $. Taxidermy.net has pages of material on how to mount birds along with tips of what to do and not to do .

P.S. Hoodies are among the hardest waterfowl to do correctly so proceed with caution...

Good luck. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:38 am

[quote="duxrus"]I would shy away from books unless they are used with other learning sources (videos/taxidermy lessons). Videos show the actual action of how to do this or that where as looking at a simple picture doesn't. If you did go that route Frank Newmyer has a few nice manuals for bird taxidermy......but most books.manuals, and even videos are OLD with few being current.

Youtube has a lot of videos so I suggest going there for a look to see if you even feel up to tackleing such a project before spending $. Taxidermy.net has pages of material on how to mount birds along with tips of what to do and not to do .

P.S. Hoodies are among the hardest waterfowl to do correctly so proceed with caution...

Good luck. :thumbsup:[/q

Thanks, that's a lot of helpful info. I'm confident that hoodie will turn out A ok. :thumbsup:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:12 pm

wanapasaki wrote:
Thanks, that's a lot of helpful info. I'm confident that hoodie will turn out A ok. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Good luck with the ghetto wood duck... Lol (hooded merganser). Make sure you get that sucker clean and washed good, they are stinky bastards. :lol: very cool birds though
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby REB1136 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:43 am

Check out Taxidermy Training Unlimited. They have some really good up to date DVD's on mounting ducks.
REB1136
hunter

Postby Page » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:09 am

x2 on Taxidermy Training Unlimited. Their videos are new and up to date. Very good close ups, unlike the videos from the 90's.
Page
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum