What to look for in a Taxadermist

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

What to look for in a Taxadermist

Postby dhudson29 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:53 am

I would like to get a Blue Wing Teal mounted. I don't have much experience with Taxadermist (I only have one 9 point mounted) I would like to get into having my birds mounted. My question is what should I look for in a taxadermist? I don't want to spend a fortune but I belive that you get what you pay for so I will pay up to about $150. What should this cost me?
Semper Fi
dhudson29
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:06 pm

for a really good well known taxidermist you are looking at $200-250. you may be able find a good one for cheaper, but from what i have seen done, the cheap good ones are few and far between. make sure you see their previous work also. if there other stuff looks like junk, yours will too. you want it to look live a live bird, not a stuffed duck. i made the mistake of taking two nice bluebills to a local taxidermist because she was cheaper. i still am having a hard time deciding if i want to throw the hen away or not because she looks terrible. spend the extra money and get it done right because if its getting mounted it'll be around for a long time :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Minnesota » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:19 pm

Ask for recommendations from friends. If no names come up, call around to find several that work on birds on a regular basis. Then visit 3 or 4 of them and make your decision after seeing their work up close.
Minnesota
hunter

Postby DarkThirty Killer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:57 pm

"Hey I got this buddy" and "I can do it and have it back to you in less than 2 months". Those are the main things I listen for when trying to find out who I do not want to mount my birds. Be patient and find the best one. You'll be better off saving up and paying extra for a good one, than taking the cheap route.
There is no such thing as a cripple being too close!!! If so, you might never see it again. I'm not going to take that chance!!!
DarkThirty Killer
hunter

Postby dhudson29 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:50 pm

well I have 2 recomendations. One guy charges $160 and the other is $250. Both said it would take about 5 months. I have no doubt that the $250 taxidermist is good but don't know about the other one only that he was recomended. I can go to either and take a look at their work. What do you think?
Semper Fi
dhudson29
hunter

Postby Minnesota » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:34 pm

I would check them both out. Ask to see examples of the species and/or the pose you are interested in. Ideally, they will have birds in a display, but they should at least have pictures.
Minnesota
hunter

Postby dhudson29 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:53 pm

The one that is $250 has a website which I have looked at and from what I can tell his work is great. but I would like to see it in person. If anyone is interested in viewing his work the address is taxidermybysonny.com
Semper Fi
dhudson29
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:34 pm

i wouldnt pay 250 for that guys work personally. check out www.birdmanstudios.com and www.waterfowltaxidermy.com as a few more options.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby speckslayer » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:03 pm

yeah i'm with jj. he's good just not $250 good. i don't like some of the ways he pose's the birds. jmo
three shots, three kills!!!!

goose huntin SOLA style
speckslayer
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum