Ducks n' Bucks, Athens, Texas??

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Ducks n' Bucks, Athens, Texas??

Postby glen1978 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Anyone used these guys for a duck mount? There in Athens Texas. I found em mentioned several times in other forums from a Google search but trying to find some guys on here. I called Sportsmans Memory Shop in Grapeland, Tx but they were 8-9 months turnaround and $350 bucks.
glen1978
hunter

Re: Ducks n' Bucks, Athens, Texas??

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Since I can only delete the entire thread as the only option or move it to spam, which I don't believe there is ill intent , if you have a suggestion for the poster, please reply by pm only!

Original poster, I cannot differentiate between trolling and an actual question, so I ask that these questions are asked and answered differently. I don't believe that was your intent, but I have to take our sponsors into consideration.

Thanks, Pete (taxidermy mod)
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby glen1978 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:51 am

I was just asking if anyone had used them....? I dont wana fool with shipping my duck off. These guys are local to me. With that being said if this isnt appropriate delete at will.
glen1978
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:46 am

As discussed several times on here, price and turn around should NOT be major issues for anyone wanting a quality bird for their trophy room. If someone has a very short turn around then odds are they are not getting alot of work. That usually isn't a good sign. Price is alittle more iffy. Some charge more for better quality and others because they want to scare people away (don't want birds). IMO 350 for a regular duck mount is on the high side and definitely way above the average. That being said the only way to guage someone's quality is to see it yourself. YOU know what YOU will be happy with. With so many degrees of "good" and "great", what I think is only decent someone else might think it is the best they have ever seen. Golden rule is if you can't see someone's work then walk away. Anyone can have one heck of a Sale's Pitch but would you buy a car sight unseen ?

Either stop by their shop and look or call for pictures would be my best advice.
duxrus
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:06 am

Which sponsor (taxidermist) does the best job with the quickest turn around time. Is that a fair question?

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:51 am

Aunt Betty, that's not my goal at all. I don't care if you go to them. Both are accomplished though.

My intent is to keep trolling to a minimum. It is not the case here, but I don't like to have to differentiate between trolling and a simple question. If there were no sponsors here, I'd absolutely have no issue with it at all. They however pay to advertise, and allowing loophole advertising without paying would not be fair for them.

I have always asked that people simply ask this way: "I'm looking for a taxidermist near XXXX, anyone know of a reputable taxidermist near this locale? PM me please with details".

This way we are all cool. I understand we have guys who don't know how to package or ship, but, I personally would never want to be restricted to my particular area, if I felt that was my only choice?

We have covered several times this topic. It is in the newbie question sticky.

If you want to ask a specific question on a particular taxidermist. Ask it in the State forum he resides in, because you'll stand a better chance getting a response. The guys here may know the name, but unless he's very popular, unlikely? Personally, I know of five Texas taxidermists I would be comfortable with. I don't know this guy, but Texas is a Big state. Lol

This isn't easy trying to keep everyone happy. This is the forum owners, the sponsors, and other taxidermists who don't advertise here that have needed the same reminders.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby glen1978 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 am

Not tryin to cause problems. I should have posted in the Texas section.
glen1978
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:20 am

I promise its all good!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby glen1978 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:26 am

I posted in the Texas section. Feel free to delete this one.
glen1978
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum