Need some ideas for a bufflehead. (pic a little big)

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Need some ideas for a bufflehead. (pic a little big)

Postby LIGHT12 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:42 pm

I shot this guy the last week of the season and am thinking I want a standing mount. But if anyone has any ideas I will listen. I am open to flying.

Pete heres that picture I said I would post.

Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:16 pm

I have a nice Bufflehead on the wall, but that has got to be one of the finest plumed birds I have ever witnessed. I'm telling you, that bird is as good as any pen-raised bird I have ever seen.

Standing would do it the most justice. I would disply his buffle as much as possible. I'd look for a breeding photo. they will fill their heads up like a Goldeneye, and do a weird display. That does mean that you'd probably want a mate, and also do a water scene.

I'll look for some photos of birds doing their mating rituals, and post the links if I find any.

Are you really sure you want to move back? I hate to tell you this, but you'll have to re-train your brain, and become a meat hunter. :laughing:
Because you know we don't have all those pretty birds here. By the time they get hunted in Arizona they're nearly perfect, and when they leave here they're not even plumed 70% max.

Nice trophy! I know it's only a Bufflehead, but not too many folks have ever shot one that nice........unless it was in April! :umm:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:22 pm

here's some photos with their courtship displayed head. I know it looks a bit funky, butthis will show as much head as possible. I always try for something new. You choose what works for you.

http://www.pbase.com/zylen/bufflehead
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LIGHT12 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:43 pm

I'll take meat hunting with my dad, and friends over hunting here any day. I have a couple good buds but nothing beats sitting in a blind with the old man. I can always plan vacation time to hunt here. I got enough friends. :thumbsup:
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:44 pm

And I wouldn't mind shooting a Honker or two.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:55 pm

I suppose, no geese there. I'd trade you the Canadas for some of those pretty birds, but you hit the nail on the head when it comes to family and friends. I suppose it does get a bit lonely without your friendly Wisconsin folks. :toofunny:

We'll have to meet one day, and do a hunt or two when you return. If you come home again, and visit your Brother in Madison, look me up, and we'll suck down a few, and possibly go fishing or hunting if season is open.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LIGHT12 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:03 pm

I'm always up for a Spotted Cow. I have a potential road trip in April I may be in Madison for a night. I'll let you know when it gets closer. My brother is off Buckeye road and Stoughton. We will be having a beer or two that night.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:36 pm

I'll send you my number, and I'll look you up. Just le me know. Alot of Turkeys getting hunted during that time. I'm calling for three guys, and have my own hunt the 11th.

I figured with a title like Light12, you'd be a light beer drinker like myself.
I've never had that New Glarus beer before. Bud Light for me. Call me a wuss.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LIGHT12 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:24 pm

Trust me Pete, I'll drink whatever you put in front of me. But New Glarus is my Favorite because I can't get it here. Good luck with the turkeys. My buddy and I were thinking about looking into Fort McCoy this year but I haven't gotten the info on it.

Jut got off work fand heading to drink. Talk at you later.
LIGHT12
hunter

Buffie mount

Postby loon » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:42 pm

That is a great looking bird, I shot one almost that good in northern WI. a couple of years ago and it is one of my favorite mounts. I saw this site on another page of D.H. Chat- Birdman studios.com Lots of great mount photos I like the flying combo mount of the buffle and goldeneye two of my favorites on GreenBay. post some pics when you get him back
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

buffle

Postby drakehntr » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:24 pm

I shot a nice Buffle Drake the second to last week. I took it in to get mounted last week. We see a ton of Buffles every time we went out, but never shoot them until I decided I wanted to start getting some birds mounted. I always observed them stretching their wings on the water so I found a pic to give my taxidermist. I can't wait. Here he is with a couple of other nice birds.

2013/14
27 canada goose
17 mallard
5 teal
2 Gadwall
3 hooded merg
1 Goldeneye
2 spoonie
21 bluebill
8 widgeon
6 pintail
5 bufflehead
1 Redhead
1 Ruddy
drakehntr
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:21 am

:thumbsup:

nice bird, and nice mixed bag.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby killer0009 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:25 pm

my friend has one of two buffies w/ salt hay behind them going against the wind. It looks real good
killer0009
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum