Need some help

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Need some help

Postby TheBillCollecter » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:56 pm

well here is my problem if anyone can help or give me some ideas
my Axis buck i shot last year has finally finished up at the taxidermist that was the good news the bad news is it was suppose to be at my house on tuesday today being saturday that is the bad news when i called UPS they had no good news to tell me they dont know where my package is and i think it is kind of hard to loose a 115lb package i tried tracking it and the taxidermist sent it out on the 22nd and the last place it was tracked was in jacksonville florida on the 23rd so here is my question

if i dont get it back who do i go after the taxidermist or UPS this hunt with everything combined from plane tickets to taxidermy to UPS has cost me probably pretty close to 5000 dollars the taxidermist only put 400 dollars of insurance on it because that is the amount she charged to mount it

:help:
TheBillCollecter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:59 pm

its not your taxidermist's fault that ups lost your package...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby TheBillCollecter » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:01 pm

i pretty much figured it wasnt the taxidermist fault i have had other people tell me it was hers but i guess another question is would ups have to pay me the full amount of money or just the insurance money if they cant find the package

thanks

Rob
TheBillCollecter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:28 pm

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I think your screwed. I'm not even sure they'll cover the $400, because it was a taxidermy piece. I believe their is some clause in small print that leviates UPS from liability. I hope for your sake I'm wrong.

What probably really happened, is it was conficated and being investigated by the Feds. They have a real problem with exotics, and are probably deciding wether or not you have an illegal animal. I've heard a ton of horror stories about UPS, but I have yet to have a problem with them.

One other idea is there might be some sort of limit to the weight that a driver will carry, and it may be held up for that. I'm pretty sure where I work, they'll only take a package if it is less than 100 lbs. Most UPS trucks have a lift gate, and maybe a driver along the way decided he wasn't going to heft this 115 lb. package into his truck? Is there a freight division of UPS? I don't know that answer.

best of luck,

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Coot Man » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:24 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:its not your taxidermist's fault that ups lost your package...

I would continue with the calls, get the phone # of the last place showing it arrived and start calling on at least a daily basis and have them explain what happened. Also, if the feds got involved, figure out who you need to contact. If you prove to them that you were "legal begal" they should turn your mount over.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum