Wanting to start taxidermy.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Wanting to start taxidermy.

Postby Shadowgrass » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:18 pm

I was wondering what would be the best way to start. Would it be better to buy a video or find a school close by to attend. Keep in mind I have never mounted anything before. I should have kept some ducks to practice on, can't find any cheap pen-raised ones to mess up on learning. Any help would be appreciated.
Shadowgrass
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:32 pm

It would help to get a video but hands on would be a lot better, I would suggest to use the artificial skull and skin the beak back rather than trying to make the neck incision and if you are planning on doing very many birds to buy a wire wheel flesher {well worth the money} as with any thing else it is trial and error process {especially learning on your own as I did or am doing after a few birds you should have a good concept of the process and the ones you think look good at first you will probably toss as you get better and good luck :thumbsup:
JAKE H
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:45 pm

I forgot, crow season is in, at least in my state ,shoot a few of them to practice on, you can get enough info off the net to get you started. A good taxidermy supplier is Vandyke's
JAKE H
hunter

Postby Shadowgrass » Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:58 pm

What would be a good video to start with. I like Van Dykes because it is a Cabela's owned company and I can get a discount.
Shadowgrass
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:29 pm

Not real sure as I have only seen 1 that I borrowed from a friend, who is also pretty much self taught but subscribes to a taxidery mag. and has several videos, The one I watched I think was called {mounting waterfowl} and was very basic, but I would think there are alot better ones out there. Patience is #1 and the work is delicate but not all that difficult, I started because I didn't have the money to pay someone to mount my birds, and now wouldn't think of paying some one else to do them for me.
JAKE H
hunter

Postby Coot Man » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:21 pm

Unless you are looking to get into taxidermy as a profession, I think I would pass on the school idea. Every school I've investigated is very expensive. I'm sure they are well worth the money for starting a career, but for the guy who wants to do taxidermy as a hobby, I would get my hands on any kind of bird you can and practice, practice and practice some more.

I also agree with the wire wheel suggestion. When I started I didn't want to invest a lot of money in a wire wheel to find out I didn't like to do taxidermy so I made a real cheap one and have since modified it to work really well for me. Buy you a box of Boraxo salt, a hobby knife with replacement blades, and a pair of good scissors, for cutting bones and meat.

Set aside a couple of hours, crank on some tunes and have some fun skinning!!! :thumbsup:
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum