Please Delete

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Please Delete

Postby Rick.B » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:48 pm

How do you know if a Canvasback is mature enough to have mounted?
Last edited by Rick.B on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick.B
hunter

Re: Canvasback

Postby duxrus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Canvassbacks are usually some of the latest birds to feather out. I hate anything killed before Christmas as far as divers. The later in the season the better. 9 out of 10 brought in aren't good and mature.

Look at the tail. On early kills they usually are not all the same color with some brownish along with varying lengths. The head and necks on good birds are a brighter "red" compared to a darker one. Another spot to look at are the shoulders and where the neck joins the body on the back....you want a very distinct black/white line with zero brown or light colored feather tips.

If you have already shot one this year odds are against you. Yes, a decent mount can be made with early birds but why chance it unless this is your first or has special memories attached to it.
duxrus
hunter

Postby Rick.B » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Thank you very much for the for the helpful information. Yes, I shot my first today and I live/hunt in Wisconsin. I'll pm you a picture, but from what your telling me it isn't mature.

Thanks
Rick.B
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 pm

duxrus wrote:Canvassbacks are usually some of the latest birds to feather out. I hate anything killed before Christmas as far as divers. The later in the season the better. 9 out of 10 brought in aren't good and mature.

So what if you killed one on Christmas morning? :grooving:
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum