duck mounts in garage?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

duck mounts in garage?

Postby kyle916 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:02 pm

I have a question that I want your guys' opinion on. the closest major metro area to me is Sacramento, CA. the summers are hot 100 degrees for most of july and the winters are pretty mild, but it does get freezing sometimes. the wife says I can have a few trophy's in the house, but now that I am getting into taxidermy (as a hobby) and I've been mounting ducks, and she says no more in the house. that's fine... she let's me hunt all the time and I have 100% of a big garage to myself.

my question is... is it ok to keep my mounts on the walls in garage? there is an air conditioner for really hot days, and really cold days I'll plug in a space heater. will the temperature changes ruin my mounts over time? what do you all think?
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Re: duck mounts in garage?

Postby marblebelly » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:56 pm

mounts are not to be hidden in a garage, they belong proudly displayed in the house!
marblebelly
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:26 pm

marblebelly wrote:mounts are not to be hidden in a garage, they belong proudly displayed in the house!

:thumbsup:

With that said, you could get a humidity reader and monitor the humidity in your garage. If you have a lot of humidity, it will destroy your mounts, therefore you MUST keep them inside. ;)
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:44 pm

actually, my garage is set up like a hunters man-cave. i'm going for the bass-pro/cabelas look in there. so i'm happy to keep them in there. i'm more or less looking for opinions on the effect that the temperature changes would have on them over time.
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:32 pm

kyle916 wrote:actually, my garage is set up like a hunters man-cave. i'm going for the bass-pro/cabelas look in there. so i'm happy to keep them in there. i'm more or less looking for opinions on the effect that the temperature changes would have on them over time.

I don't think temperature has too much to do with it as does moisture. If the room is 30* with 0% humidity, you're good to go. If the room is 120* and 100% humidity, I'd be extremely worried.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:36 pm

Aren't you worried about dust mites? My buddy showed off his collection to me in the garage and they all looked like they had a ild case of mange.. I'd be careful. Maybe donate some of your least favorites to a conservation center or local museum?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby kyle916 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:25 pm

not worried about dust mites. I keep my garage Very clean. I put a barometer in there. looks like about 50% humidity and 50 degrees.

any other opinions out there??!!
NRA Life Member
CWA Member
DU Member
kyle916
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Humidity = mold and mildew

Heat = fat stains (No skin is 100% clean so heat will eventually melt what is still there)
duxrus
hunter

Postby AKWoody » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Im still trying to figure out why you dont put your foot down and put them in the house? :huh: A garage is a place for tools and cars... not a man cave. I have the worst balck duck mount on the face of the planet, and i wouldnt have it displayed anywhere else other than with all of my other very nice mounts....IN THE HOUSE! I hope you find resolution with your wife.
AKWoody
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum