Drake woodie wall mount pose?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Drake woodie wall mount pose?

Postby Cmilliman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:44 pm

I shot a perfect drake woodie the other day and I am taking it to the taxidermist but I cannot decide what pose to do that would best show off all of his feathers. I am positive I want a wall mount as I have nowhere to put a table mount. And I am fairly sure I want to do a standing pose. If one of you guys has a good preening or sleeping pose that you have seen and like I would entertain any ideas. I have checked the birdman studios website and really like the one with leaves, or number 260 in the picture gallery .
Cmilliman
Newb

Re: Drake woodie wall mount pose?

Postby PADuck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:33 pm

just dont ruin it by getting in mounted flying. woodies look best standing or swimming.
PADuck
hunter

Postby PADuck » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:36 pm

I make everything here but the water and the mounts
PADuck
hunter

Postby Cmilliman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:44 pm

That is more like what I'm looking for. I like the thought of him standing in a hollowed out hole like your hen. But I also want to show off his back feathers. Because they are the prettiest I've seen. I am probably being too particular because it's my first mount. I think I'll do the hole in the log idea. But I'm betting I'll have to go find the log myself or it will cost extra. I was thinking about doing a wing stretching pose coming out of the hole like he is taking flight or something
Cmilliman
Newb

Postby Cmilliman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:54 pm

I decided to do like your top woodie leaning out of the hole with his head turned sideways like he is looking for predators.
Cmilliman
Newb

Postby PADuck » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:54 am

This is actually the back of the mount (faces the wall on this side) it looks better from the other side
PADuck
hunter

Postby Cmilliman » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Ended up going with a local guy who is a pastor. He has won several 1st and second place awards in kansas and Missouri. He is actually going to duplicate his 1st place award winner from last year. He ordered a log with a hole from the mckenzie taxidermy catalog and is going to put the drake above the knot looking around and I am trying to shoot a hen to go in the hole. Whole thing cost 375.
Cmilliman
Newb

Return to Taxidermy Forum