Skinned bird

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Skinned bird

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:15 pm

I haven't started my first one but wanting to give it a try. Is it ok to skin the bird then freeze it or should I wait until I can get the time on the flesher wheel to actually skin it.
Duck Nasty
hunter

Re: Skinned bird

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Duck Nasty wrote:I haven't started my first one but wanting to give it a try. Is it ok to skin the bird then freeze it or should I wait until I can get the time on the flesher wheel to actually skin it.

I would say either freeze it whole then do it, or wait until you have the time to flesh it when you skin it. That is simply my opinion since the bufflehead I did I fleshed with scissors.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:18 pm

You can do all of it in stages. Skin, and freeze it in water. Thaw it, flesh and wash it, and freeze it in water. Thaw it, dry it, then mount it. You can even dry the skin and freeze it and mount the next day. I would not want to keep a dry skin in my freezer very long. If in water, they can last years on end. No air in the bag and completely submerged.

I always skin, then freeze at least one day in water. I believe the fat tissue fleshes easier. Then I thaw and flesh, wash, and rinse. The skin is then kept in a block of water until the day I mount it. I have mounted birds that were stored for 9 years this way.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Nasty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks for the pointers I appreciate the help
Duck Nasty
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum