STUFFERS

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

STUFFERS

Postby kdhitch04 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:13 pm

anyone know how to do stuufers GOOSE
kdhitch04
hunter

Postby fowlaholic » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:11 pm

just type stuffer goose decoys into a search engine
gettin out is all the fun if you bag a bird thats a bonus
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby quackerwacker » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:13 am

I am also interested in learning. After an extensive search I was only able to find one site, and it wasn't explanitory but was rather selling "how to's" and stuffer bodies, eyes etc. Anyone have any good articles or websites I might have missed? :huh:
2009-2010 totals
Canada Geese: 5
Mallards: 14
Wood ducks:0
Widgeon: 0
Gadwall: 0
Pintail: 5
Green Wing Teal: 5
Bands: none yet this year!
quackerwacker
hunter

Postby Coot Man » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:24 am

I've looked for the same thing and came up with the same results as already mentioned. I made an agreement with a guy at work to mount him up some stuffers. But I didn't feel right about charging or using for that matter actual forms and artificial heads for a decoy that will only last a few years anyway.

I cleaned my geese like I was doing a regular mount (skinned, defatted, and washed) then I carved my own form out of foam that I traced from the original carcass. I used some pipe insulation and a stiff coat hanger for my neck and then with some advice from a few guys from this web site I learned how to properly clean the skull and reuse it with some clay and artificial eyes. Total cost of supplies was about $5.00. The geese are a little ragged looking with homemade forms, but they look good sitting in the field. I hope that this helped get some creative juices flowing and possibly helped answer a question or two. If I can be of any help at all feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
You've got to stand for something or you will fall for anything...
Coot Man
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum