B-Day Fulvous

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

B-Day Fulvous

Postby AAR » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:08 pm

What a day! DecIded a while back that I was going to finally take a day off to do some hunting on my birthday. Of course it ends up being cold, pouring rain, and strong winds :hammer: was about to take a few teal out and heard the distinct whistle of the Fulvous, plans changed quickly! End up sneaking in chest high water and I get three. Couldn't believe it at this point, sneak around some more and come across a super stud mottled duck. I'm about to pull the trigger and what do I hear? Fulvous! For many many years I have always wanted to get a full limit of whistling ducks, although I thought it would be black bellies since most fulvous leave after the first cold front in September. I kept picking up number 4, then 5, and now it's getting later and could tell their getting sick of my crap. Wanted that limit of them so bad and left one spot to just go back after some mottles or something when low and behold, I see three light down over the tree line. Got over there quick quick and couldn't see them, one decided to flap his wings in the dense vegetation they were in and it was back to playing navy seal, already soaked at this point so no biggie. I get up about 20 yards away from where I saw him and as I'm about to rise up to flush them, a flock of black bellies are flying 25 yards over my head, thought about it but I was a man on a mission. For this birthday hunt, I didn't want some black belly finishing out my limit, queering up the pic :fingerpt: so the three jump up and took the far right to avoid any doubles. He goes down and I was just amazed,a full limit of fulvous, Florida only allows 1 per day. All in all, the nasty weather will make the memory just as special as the ducks themselves. I saved them all because I really want to do a dead strap that commemorates not only a magical hunt but couldn't think of a better birthday present for myself.

It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Re: B-Day Fulvous

Postby troutman561 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Isn't the limit 1 per day?
troutman561
hunter

Postby AAR » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:53 pm

Not in TX! :beer:

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:59 pm

AAR wrote:Not in TX! :beer:

Eric

6 ducks per day though?
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

B-Day Fulvous

Postby troutman561 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:40 am

I'm surprised there is limit under 6. Must be nice. Good work. Just read the Texas and central flyway regs.
troutman561
hunter

Postby AAR » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:35 pm

West coast guys get the 7, could have gotten another but 6 is still 5 more than the east coast guts are allowed of them so no complaints :beer:

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby Ga ducker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:20 pm

What a hunt! Congratulations, and happy birthday!
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby DUCK-DAWG » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Congrats...I'll have to keep that in mind. Fulvous are one of my favorites, and a limit of them (6) is certainly worth a trip to Texas in the future.
DUCK-DAWG
hunter

Postby Woodie Hunter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:43 am

Nice looking birds
Woodie Hunter
Newb

Return to Taxidermy Forum