What do you think?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

What do you think?

Postby Ducks&bucks14 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Is this one Mountable? I hunt the Mississippi most of the season and I tend to shoot one or two nice ones a year, but I do not think I have shot one this nice.

Also I harvest a Drake and hen Pintail in a double this year and I have never shot a Drake Pintail before. Is there a way you would reccomend mounting a Drake pintail with No sprig? I am going to do a hen and drake mount. Or can the Taxidermist put a sprig on it? Let me know what should work or look nice.
Attachments
1456634_10152349440624867_711624718_n.jpg
Ducks&bucks14
hunter

Re: What do you think?

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:25 am

He looks nice, but it really depends on how you want him mounted. If his wings are busted, all his primaries and secondaries are accounted for and not shot up, and he has his tail feathers, I'd say go for it.

As far as the pintail, are they common where you are? If they are, I would hold out for one with a sprig. A taxidermist could definitely imp a sprig in for you, but is that really what you want to do? As far as how to mount them, flushing is generally the way to go. Google images will have a boat load of pictures for you to look at.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Ducks&bucks14 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:57 am

Okay I think I will pull the trigger on the Can to mount. It looks awesome it was a head shot and has almost all the feathers. How do you recommend mounting a Can? I was just wondering if this was a good specimen of the species?

No I am 22 and hunt quite a bit. This is my first drake pintail that looks good. I hunt the Mississippi River by LaCrosse, WI.
So I am quite proud of it but I really wish it had a sprig. I am going to Arkansas at the end of the month so I will not bring in the duck until after my trip to Arkansas.
Ducks&bucks14
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:08 am

I haven't hunted in WI since I was a boy. But from my understanding Pinnies aren't that common there. Out here where me and Cougar are from they are a dime a dozen so mounting just any old pintail would be dumb. All facts to consider when mounting a bird.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Ok, I'm from Wisconsin. The canvasback is a stud for the pool you shot it from. Mount it, because as Wisconsin birds go, it is a winner.

Pintails will probably have pin feathers (as well as the can for that matter), but need to be mounted on the principle of location. We are not on the Pacific flyway. They are not common. I suspect you will shoot a better bird in Arkansas though, but who knows, maybe you'll only shoot greenheads?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum