Should i mount a black duck?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Should i mount a black duck?

Postby BigBend » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:27 pm

i have had this black duck in my freezer for a year and at the time i thought it to be a female mallard or a mottled duck that is only found in florida. i then realized it was a drake black duck. this is real rare to ny neck of the marsh and nobody in my area has killed one. is this by any means wall worthy orshoul i hold off until i get somthing that would be better. i also think the neck is broken will this affect anything? any input will be appreciated
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby wtrfwlr » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:52 pm

I could be totally wrong about this but from what i was told black ducks are only common on the northeastern coast. I'm from southern illinois and if someone kills a black duck here there is no doubt it's goin on the wall. I've been hunting hard for five years and have seen two black ducks with my own two eyes and i didn't kill either one of them. Maybe i'm just bad luck, but i would mount it
wtrfwlr
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:37 am

im from maine and we pound the snot out of the blacks up here. there kinda annoying as we can only have 1 a day and they are everywheres. ide say as far as mounting it and asking if its "wall worthy" was there something particularly special about the hunt? or a memory you want to be a conversation peice. it doesnt matter to me if its the best looking duck or biggest buck ive shot or smallest longest beard to me its more of a sentimental thing. my opinion
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby quackerwacker » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:35 am

It seems to me that there are so many members asking if they should mount a certain duck, generally based on species or gender. The real answer to the question comes from the specimen itself. In my mind there is no point mounting a duck with a great story behind it if it is in crappy condition because when you look at it the first thing you will think of is how crappy it looks. Firstly, the longer it is in the freezer the poorer it will be - the head feathers won't stand up as well as on a fresh specimen, the eyelids will be poorer etc. Then think of the mount - if you want a flying mount make sure that every flight feather (wing and tale) is intact. If even one flight feather is broken it will show. As far as mounting a black duck goes - I think you could make a real cool mount out of it...just so long as it is the quality specimen that makes a good mount! :thumbsup:
2009-2010 totals
Canada Geese: 5
Mallards: 14
Wood ducks:0
Widgeon: 0
Gadwall: 0
Pintail: 5
Green Wing Teal: 5
Bands: none yet this year!
quackerwacker
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:49 pm

thanks guys, the bird is in great shape, no pellets in beak or head but i have seen birds mounted that had a longer freezer life and its at the point where i need to mak a decision and it is sentimental so i think ill get it done. ill post pics when its done.
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby fowlaholic » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:06 pm

im from indian we get alot of blacks
gettin out is all the fun if you bag a bird thats a bonus
fowlaholic
hunter

Postby skybuster20ga » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:24 pm

i still stick to my first statement . i figured condition of the animal went w/ out saying
-keep your booger hook off the bang switch 'till your ready to shoot"
skybuster20ga
hunter

Postby Brydog » Thu May 24, 2007 9:31 pm

quackerwacker wrote:It seems to me that there are so many members asking if they should mount a certain duck, generally based on species or gender. The real answer to the question comes from the specimen itself. In my mind there is no point mounting a duck with a great story behind it if it is in crappy condition because when you look at it the first thing you will think of is how crappy it looks. Firstly, the longer it is in the freezer the poorer it will be - the head feathers won't stand up as well as on a fresh specimen, the eyelids will be poorer etc. Then think of the mount - if you want a flying mount make sure that every flight feather (wing and tale) is intact. If even one flight feather is broken it will show. As far as mounting a black duck goes - I think you could make a real cool mount out of it...just so long as it is the quality specimen that makes a good mount! :thumbsup:

nno!:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Return to Taxidermy Forum