Wanting to get started

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Wanting to get started

Postby holtspur » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:58 am

I want to get started in taxidermy. I'd like to start and try a few birds, but am kind of unsure. I've been watching as many youtube videos as I could find. I don't really have anyone I could get to show me the ropes. Can y'all recommend a place with good prices to get a form. Also what all will I need. And one other question that the videos haven't addressed,.. How are the feet done? Do you use fake feet or use the real feet, if its the real feet how do you preserver them and bring coloring to them? Again sorry for my uber ignorance here but thought this was a good place to turn.
holtspur
hunter

Re: Wanting to get started

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 am

I got started by purchasing a DVD. The cost was about $20 and is pretty thorough. Shows all the materials you'll need and the technique. The DVD is called Mounting the Flying Duck Master Series (or something along that line). The YouTube videos are OK but they lack alot of the detail you get from an hour and half long DVD. You can also purchase a duck mounting kit for about $20 that includes instructions, available from Van Dykes (or other taxidermy supply stores). To answer your question about the feet, yes, you use the real birds foot, injected with fluid to get the realism back and painted to restore the color. I too am just a beginner and I recommend getting a DVD, then you'll know, besides the materials, the tools you'll need as well. Good luck!
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Postby holtspur » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Thanks for the advice. I guess I know where some of my christmas money. If you don't mind my asking how many birds did you do before you got one that looked like somthing. I know everyone is different and the magic number for you wont be mine. But just wondered. I know i've seen some guys on here that showed their first mount and it didn't look too bad. I just don't see mine being that great.
holtspur
hunter

Postby QuackAddict95 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:06 pm

lonestartaxidermy.com

they have duck mounting kits that comes with everything you need. they are $30 but they come with the body, head, neck material, plenty of wire and preservatives for the skin
QuackAddict95
hunter

Postby holtspur » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Wow thanks! I'll chec that out.
holtspur
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:42 am

One thing that probably won't be in that kit is a flesher. This is in my opinion the most valuable piece of equipment for taxidermy. You can get away starting out with scissors but if this is something you plan in doing more than once buy or build a flesher. Good luck.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum