HELP ME PLEASE!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

HELP ME PLEASE!

Postby Swampswimmingshrek » Mon May 07, 2007 11:39 am

Okay I have always wanted to get into Taxidermy but never could find anyone to help me or give me any advise. I was hoping that you guys could maybe answer some questions and get me headed in the right direction.

1. Do any of you have any pictures of the full process of a bird?
2. What is the best place to buy supplies? Is there a good Starter kit for someone that wants to do all kinds of taxidermy?
3. I would like to do some of my own and see if I like doing it and if I'm any good. Ultimately I would love to do it as a side job or maybe more any tips comments or ideas?
4. Does everyone take pictures and study them for there mounts?
5. I was told you have to measure each bird before you mount it so that the mount is the right size is this correct?
6. What parts of the bird is used?

Thanks
SSS
Screw the jets and mud motors! Give me an air boat!
Swampswimmingshrek
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon May 07, 2007 3:15 pm

1. Do any of you have any pictures of the full process of a bird? I have no pictures of the process (in process).

2. What is the best place to buy supplies? Is there a good Starter kit for someone that wants to do all kinds of taxidermy? I do think it would be in your best interest to get some hands on training, whether that would be at a good school, or under an apprenticeship with a quality taxidermist. supplies can be bought at any taxidermy supply company ie. Vandykes, rinehart's, McKenzie, Wasco, etc.

3. I would like to do some of my own and see if I like doing it and if I'm any good. Ultimately I would love to do it as a side job or maybe more any tips comments or ideas? Then buy a video or two. The lessons are somewhat vague, but better than nothing. Pick one species at first, and see if it's your cup of tea.

4. Does everyone take pictures and study them for there mounts? Pictures are good, and also studying the anatomy of the skinned specimen is a great way to learn what the muscular-structure entails.

5. I was told you have to measure each bird before you mount it so that the mount is the right size is this correct? Yes, do not order by particular specimen, like a Mallard form for a Mallard, you may need a pintail form instead, depending on the length and girth measurements.

6. What parts of the bird is used? The skin and feathers, the wing and leg bones, the feet, and possibly the bill depending on your particular taste. (they do make artificial bills and eyes for nearly all specimens, and a limited amount of feet).

Good luck,

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swampswimmingshrek » Mon May 07, 2007 4:45 pm

Great thanks for the help. I'm thinking of doing some big game first then maybe some birds next spring after I get a few to use this fall.
Screw the jets and mud motors! Give me an air boat!
Swampswimmingshrek
hunter

Postby JAKE H » Mon May 07, 2007 4:46 pm

The next bird that I do, I will try to take pics through out the process, Though it may be several weeks until I get around to to it, I am not a pro but have a good understanding of the process, here is a pic of a turkey my friend did Image
JAKE H
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon May 28, 2007 1:47 pm

Also check around for classess in the evening at local schools. Every so often they may be community education classes in the area where you live. I know many years ago I took an evening class that met once a week for about 8 weeks about taxidermy.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Taxidermy Forum