Thawing old birds

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Thawing old birds

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Sun May 27, 2007 8:59 am

I had a bufflehead in the freezer that was shot 3-1/2 years ago. Before ordering a form I thought I'd see if I could even get the skin off of the bird first, I had my doubts. I took it out of the freezer in the morning and started skinning it 12 - 13 hours later. The bird had entirely thawed with the relatively warm weather we've had. That old bird was actually wet inside!! I was very surprised when everything skinned very easily and only the feet were dried out. I injected them with some water to loosen them up. I've skinned bigger, fatter divers that were 2-1/2 years old, packaged, and frozen the same way and had a heck of a time with dry, stiff skins. But often the breast meat of these birds is still partially frozen when I go to skin them. So my question is: Will the skin of a bird that's been frozen for a long time actually draw moisture out of the meat when given a chance to thoroughly thaw out?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu May 31, 2007 6:02 am

So my question is: Will the skin of a bird that's been frozen for a long time actually draw moisture out of the meat when given a chance to thoroughly thaw out?

Doubt it.

The thing about a Bufflehead is they are usually very fat, and that was probably the factor that allowed your ease of skinning.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:58 am

I have noticed that on the subject of the feet that when you freeze the bird if u dampen a couple of paper towels (dont laugh it works) and then wrap them around the feet before freezing them it helps the feet from becoming freezer burned.

Remember if ya cant tell what it is before ya shoot, dont pull the trigger
:thumbsup:

Tara
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum