What kind of duck is this....

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

What kind of duck is this....

Postby h2o dog » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:02 am

I know it's a mallard. But is it an albino mallard, or a domestic hybrid mallard?

JoKen's Sir Lucas Bartholomew - "Lucas"
Tallmadge's Miss Eloise Lucia JH - "Ellie"
HR Tallmadge's Spirit of Light SH - "Boggs"
h2o dog
hunter

Re: What kind of duck is this....

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:47 am

Hard to tell? Was the bill showing it to be a hen? Sort of looks like it. Leucism is a trait more common to (but not only found) in hens.

It is not your typical blonde, although the speculum looks similar. There are many darker feathers that almost look melanistic making me think it just had some sort of genetic issues concerning color all together?

As far as it having domestic in it? Hard to say, but it certainly has traits that don't show up just because of domestic parenting. It is a unique color, and again not a typical blonde. I have shot one (a hen) and my bird looks pretty standard comparing it to other blonde (leucistic) hen mallards.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2o dog » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:31 am

Definitely has a brighter, orangish colored bill.
JoKen's Sir Lucas Bartholomew - "Lucas"
Tallmadge's Miss Eloise Lucia JH - "Ellie"
HR Tallmadge's Spirit of Light SH - "Boggs"
h2o dog
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:54 am

If you search the taxidermy forum, and search blonde or blond, you will see quite a few that have been posted throughout the years. Almost always hens, but most look like this one I shot and mounted.

Like I said before, yours is slightly different, than what I've seen in the past.
Attachments
998690_550994381604901_91861672_n.jpg
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:19 pm

I was there, here's my photo of the same duck. Wings are straight black-and-white. Like the bird was a blonde, but the wings were trapped in a 1950's TV show.

http://imgur.com/HyVqwK4

ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Well your picture shows more than the first photos. I will say this. It has pigmentation issues. I dont believe it would be caused by having some hybridization with a domestic duck. So for that, I would call it wild, and I would have it mounted.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ga ducker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:38 pm

It's a wall hanger that's what it is.
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:27 am

Wow, that sure is a first that I've seen. Very interesting. Thanks for posting. Sorry I'm no help.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:28 am

Is it just me. Or does it look like the wing is not attatched to the duck?
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby BlaineD » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:28 am

mdfowlman wrote:Is it just me. Or does it look like the wing is not attatched to the duck?
mdfowlman wrote:Is it just me. Or does it look like the wing is not attatched to the duck?

Something about that doesn't look right for sure!
BlaineD
hunter

Postby Keny656 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:25 pm

BlaineD wrote:

Yea no way the wing is attatched. if it is I would like to see proof. not calling you a liar but it looks very fishy. The wing is too low on it and as a decoy carver the angle of the wing coming from the body is also very incorrect.
Rain Kead my Friends, Rain Kead.
Keny656
hunter

Postby Keny656 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:41 pm

This is just my opinion on how it appears

Rain Kead my Friends, Rain Kead.
Keny656
hunter

Postby ninethreeeleven » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Keny656 wrote:
BlaineD wrote:

Yea no way the wing is attatched. if it is I would like to see proof. not calling you a liar but it looks very fishy. The wing is too low on it and as a decoy carver the angle of the wing coming from the body is also very incorrect.

I assure you the wing is attached and that was a real duck. This is rather hysterical to me, never thought it would be questioned. Note: I'm not the OP, I was just there when the bird was taken. I posted my own photo for a different reference photo. I'll ask another guy there if he has any photos, but trust me, neither I nor H20Dog have anything to gain by faking this.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:26 am

ninethreeeleven wrote:
Keny656 wrote:
BlaineD wrote:

I assure you the wing is attached and that was a real duck. This is rather hysterical to me, never thought it would be questioned. Note: I'm not the OP, I was just there when the bird was taken. I posted my own photo for a different reference photo. I'll ask another guy there if he has any photos, but trust me, neither I nor H20Dog have anything to gain by faking this.

Exactly. The wing looks nearly identical to the blonde I shot.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:22 am

Pete-pec wrote:
ninethreeeleven wrote:
Keny656 wrote:
BlaineD wrote:

Exactly. The wing looks nearly identical to the blonde I shot.

we are not questioning the color of the wing but you surely cannot tell me that that looks like thecorrect anatomy of a mallard duck
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:54 am

I am not questioning any of it. I've seen a lot of dead ducks over my 34 years of hunting. The anatomy I figured was in question due to the differing colors (neck and body)? Beyond that it looks fine. The neck or breast I assume you are questioning is a lot of feather in all actuality. Although it looks like a larger portion of the bird's body, perhaps resembling the breast, there is in fact neck and feather under most of what you see that sits above the leading edge of the wing. Using a picture of a flying duck as a comparison is probably the wrong image to provide. Instead, find an image of a dead duck in a very similar position. Im sure if you pulled the wing from a rigored bird to show it in a picture, as in this case, you would then see it looks just like this one does. It's a dead duck after all? :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:27 am

Here is a picture of my dead duck. It was stiff as well, but I eventually stretched its wings out enough to snap a couple shots. I believe the contrasting colors are what looks most odd about the duck in question. I look at the image again, and I see what looks like a wing that doesn't match the body, but I think only because those two colors don't match (body and wing). If the duck was on its belly, it would look similar to the image I'm posting. The wing in question can be best described like this: Take your arm and tuck your elbow to your side, and raise your forearms up, and if the human body could contort, you would touch your wrist (where your radius and ulna meet) to your shoulder, and if the human body could contort like a duck, you would bend your wrist downward, and point your fingers (primaries) downward. That is what you see with the first duck. Add to that, that the duck is on its side and you have contrasting colors, it sort of looks detached. Now stretch that wing because there is also a large bone called a humerus that is running right about even to that radius and ulna (again ducks are built a bit differently than us humans), and you'll see the flight web is actually attached right at the point of that same wing where the coverts lay (in the image it is the point that resembles a shoulder when in fact it's the wrist that is making contact with the bird's breast/neck juncture). The rest of the wing (humerus and flight web) is not stretched out like the image I am posting.

In other words it is an optical illusion, but it certainly looks like it is part of the duck in question. Most importantly, what does someone have to gain by removing a wing from a body, and placing it near the body of another duck, when both ducks (wing and yes body) are obviously leucistic? It would take two leucistic mallards to pull off that trick!? :yes:
Attachments
872_Picture_or_Video_002_1.jpg
872_Picture_or_Video_001_1.jpg
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:33 am

Keny656 wrote:This is just my opinion on how it appears

This picture actually demonstrates perfectly what I was trying to get across. The red line where it says "your ducks anatomy", is actually where the elbow of the duck is normally in flight. The other red line where it says normal anatomy is actually a springy, rubber band-like tendon that runs along the leading edge of that flight web, and connects at the skin near the breast of the duck or at its armpit, and then to the wrist of the duck where the primary feather butts reside.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:26 am

I'd also point out that it is quite possible the humerus of the right wing is broken, leaving it to sit at an awkward angle.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:53 am

The photo just posted shows the difference in the two ducks wings. You can actually see the wing tucked wing on the bird sitting behind the wing in question and part of the speculum. Tonight I'm gonna pull a canvasback out of the freezer and use a mallard wing to demonstate/ recreate the photo
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:18 pm

mdfowlman wrote:The photo just posted shows the difference in the two ducks wings. You can actually see the wing tucked wing on the bird sitting behind the wing in question and part of the speculum. Tonight I'm gonna pull a canvasback out of the freezer and use a mallard wing to demonstate/ recreate the photo

Dont waste your time. At this point there's only you and one other guy who need convincing. If my elaborate and time consuming posts didn't convince you, I'm afraid nothing will? That is fine, because not everything is real on the internet.......Although I am a french model!

Bonjour! :wink:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:17 pm

I posted the second photo of the bird in question and I was there when it was taken. I know that the OP (H2O Dog) is in Maryland on, of all things, a duck hunting trip. I told him about what this thread has become and he laughed. I will do my best to get him to pull the bird from the freezer and take another photo. Is there any action poses that people want? Maybe a nice Blue Steel? Magnum?
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:23 pm

9311 you fraudulent Bastard! Don't you know that some guys take this stuff serious? Please quit trying to pull the wool over our eyes! :sarcmark:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:41 pm

There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum