First Can..

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

First Can..

Postby jrgraha3 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:26 am

Shot my first can this past Saturday.. Planning on getting him mounted. Don't see too many in AZ.

Whats your opinion on quality of the bird? I think hes pretty solid but what do you guys think? They're such pretty birds in hand

jrgraha3
hunter

Re: First Can..

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am

Nice bird! Go ahead and get it done. The wings look a little off (might just be the picture) but any competent taxidermist should be able to fix that, no problem.

Congratulations on the bird.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:33 am

People say they wouldn't mount one unless it was all white across the back. Your can you killed looks just like mine that I had mounted. I'd say you got a quality bird. They are my favorite duck to hunt. Any ideas on poses?
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:41 am

Riding the Wind.Image
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby jrgraha3 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:57 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:People say they wouldn't mount one unless it was all white across the back. Your can you killed looks just like mine that I had mounted. I'd say you got a quality bird. They are my favorite duck to hunt. Any ideas on poses?

I agree, I feel like his back is whiter in person but I know he is not the 100% perfectly plumed prime Can that their entire back is white as snow.. But I still feel like he is a quality bird.

I was pretty set on a standing mount as I feel that shows them off the best, but I keep looking at this flying pose and am now stuck on what to do. What pose did you end up going with?

Here are the ones I like..

jrgraha3
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:45 am

Not the best picture but you get the idea. He looks a lot whiter in this picture than real life. And don't get me wrong about the pure white comment, your duck looks like he's a fatty and an adult. I wouldn't have thought twice about mounting it.
Attachments
IMG_20130801_075211.jpg
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:53 pm

jrgraha3 wrote:Here are the ones I like..

I like the flying mount. But take that with a grain of salt. I have 26 mounted birds and two of them are standing, so my personal preference is evident! :lol3:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum