Christmas Day Eagle Head

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby EvanKCMO » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:53 am

I got a great Christmas present yesterday from 'ol mother nature. My Dad and I always take off to muzzleloader hunt on Christmas afternoon. On the way to our farm we drove by my Uncle's field loaded with snow geese and I noticed a few gorgeous eagle heads on the edge of the flock. We obviously turned around to grab the shotguns and then the mohican sneak was on. The birds got really nervous while we were still about 70 yards out. I knew we couldn't get any closer so I called my uncled and he came out and kind of spooked them up. They were all just tornadoing around above us and I was keeping my eye out for one of those brilliant white heads and then all of a sudden there he was. Coming right at us with about 20 white snows and a few immature blues. I picked him out of the group and dropped him on my first shot. What a great Christamas present! I'm thinking of going with this pose. What do you guys think?
Attachments
Eagle Head Mount Idea.jpg
Eagle Head.jpg
EvanKCMO
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am


Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 am

Very cool, great story! Most importantly, I appreciate the fact you didn't drop the name of the taxidermist! :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Pete
User avatar
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 3138
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby EvanKCMO » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:37 am

Pete-pec wrote:Very cool, great story! Most importantly, I appreciate the fact you didn't drop the name of the taxidermist! :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Pete


I just shot him yesterday Pete! The mounted bird is not my pic, just one I found on google image. What do you think of that pose for an eagle head blue? The other thing I didn't mention is that he was more of an "interphase" with an all white belly and throat. Just his back was slate grey like that. So maybe something to show off the uniqueness of the white belly?
EvanKCMO
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Pretty cool... See lots of em but never have got one. That goose is going to look cool no matter what the pose. Congrats.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
User avatar
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:16 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Standing mount maybe primping a wing? Just an idea.

Great story!
There are no ducks in the desert!
User avatar
Cougar125
hunter
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:18 pm
Location: Deployment again!

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby duxrus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Flying so you can see all those unique back feathers.... Just pick someone. "Qualified" I hate seeing birds done with their wings straight as an arrow. Yes on occasion they do straighten them but with some bend just makes a for a better appearance. Congrats on a trophy
duxrus
hunter
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby jstewart_1981 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:55 pm

You cant mess that one up buddy. I have only shot one and had mine standing to take up less space. Either way gonna look nice! Congrats
User avatar
jstewart_1981
hunter
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 pm
Location: Calhoun,Georgia

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby EvanKCMO » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:28 pm

duxrus wrote:Flying so you can see all those unique back feathers.... Just pick someone. "Qualified" I hate seeing birds done with their wings straight as an arrow. Yes on occasion they do straighten them but with some bend just makes a for a better appearance. Congrats on a trophy



x2 - the silver/black/white on those wing feathers is just gorgeous. I want that to be highlighted. Maybe a flushing pose? This seems like more of a duck pose to me but would show off the feathers well. Thanks for the feedback guys, this is why I came to the taxidermy forum.
Attachments
Eagle Head Mount Idea 2.jpg
EvanKCMO
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby duxrus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:08 pm

Geese take off too :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby EvanKCMO » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:58 am

I picked him up last week. He looks fantastic in the office!
Attachments
Blue3.JPG
Blue2.JPG
Blue1.JPG
EvanKCMO
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby teddysberna » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:52 pm

You boys don't think the orange hats might have got them a little uneasy before you jumped them, do you? :umm:

Good looking bird though :thumbsup:
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
User avatar
teddysberna
hunter
 
Posts: 4949
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:25 pm
Location: Georgetown KY

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby ARduckboy24 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Beautiful bird. Are eagle heads particularly rare? My first goose was a big white headed mature blue and I've shot 2 since(Total span of 3 years between) then and I don't particularly target geese the first was just a solo fly by that I shot at and the other 2 were on a jump that failed because a truck jumped the flock before we got half way. Sorry for the temporary high jack congratulations man
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby duxrus » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Places like Arkansas have about 50/50 snows vs blues. Seems more coastal areas see mostly snows. No matter the area, a mature bird is a mature bird. Take a season or two for them to get that nice white head.
duxrus
hunter
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Nashville, Tennessee

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby EvanKCMO » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:57 am

teddysberna wrote:You boys don't think the orange hats might have got them a little uneasy before you jumped them, do you? :umm:

Good looking bird though :thumbsup:


Ha ha, the orange hat came off for the sneak
EvanKCMO
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby EvanKCMO » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:58 am

ARduckboy24 wrote:Beautiful bird. Are eagle heads particularly rare? My first goose was a big white headed mature blue and I've shot 2 since(Total span of 3 years between) then and I don't particularly target geese the first was just a solo fly by that I shot at and the other 2 were on a jump that failed because a truck jumped the flock before we got half way. Sorry for the temporary high jack congratulations man


They are not necessarily rare, this was just an exceptionally nice one. Most of the time they have at least a little grey on their heads still.
EvanKCMO
hunter
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby teddysberna » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:42 pm

EvanKCMO wrote:
teddysberna wrote:You boys don't think the orange hats might have got them a little uneasy before you jumped them, do you? :umm:

Good looking bird though :thumbsup:


Ha ha, the orange hat came off for the sneak



Good choice! :clapping:
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
User avatar
teddysberna
hunter
 
Posts: 4949
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:25 pm
Location: Georgetown KY


Return to Taxidermy Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests