Christmas Day Eagle Head

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby EvanKCMO » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:53 am

I got a great Christmas present yesterday from 'ol mother nature. My Dad and I always take off to muzzleloader hunt on Christmas afternoon. On the way to our farm we drove by my Uncle's field loaded with snow geese and I noticed a few gorgeous eagle heads on the edge of the flock. We obviously turned around to grab the shotguns and then the mohican sneak was on. The birds got really nervous while we were still about 70 yards out. I knew we couldn't get any closer so I called my uncled and he came out and kind of spooked them up. They were all just tornadoing around above us and I was keeping my eye out for one of those brilliant white heads and then all of a sudden there he was. Coming right at us with about 20 white snows and a few immature blues. I picked him out of the group and dropped him on my first shot. What a great Christamas present! I'm thinking of going with this pose. What do you guys think?
Attachments
Eagle Head Mount Idea.jpg
Eagle Head.jpg
EvanKCMO
hunter

Re: Christmas Day Eagle Head

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 am

Very cool, great story! Most importantly, I appreciate the fact you didn't drop the name of the taxidermist! :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EvanKCMO » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:37 am

Pete-pec wrote:Very cool, great story! Most importantly, I appreciate the fact you didn't drop the name of the taxidermist! :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Pete

I just shot him yesterday Pete! The mounted bird is not my pic, just one I found on google image. What do you think of that pose for an eagle head blue? The other thing I didn't mention is that he was more of an "interphase" with an all white belly and throat. Just his back was slate grey like that. So maybe something to show off the uniqueness of the white belly?
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Pretty cool... See lots of em but never have got one. That goose is going to look cool no matter what the pose. Congrats.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Standing mount maybe primping a wing? Just an idea.

Great story!
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Flying so you can see all those unique back feathers.... Just pick someone. "Qualified" I hate seeing birds done with their wings straight as an arrow. Yes on occasion they do straighten them but with some bend just makes a for a better appearance. Congrats on a trophy
duxrus
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:55 pm

You cant mess that one up buddy. I have only shot one and had mine standing to take up less space. Either way gonna look nice! Congrats
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby EvanKCMO » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:28 pm

duxrus wrote:Flying so you can see all those unique back feathers.... Just pick someone. "Qualified" I hate seeing birds done with their wings straight as an arrow. Yes on occasion they do straighten them but with some bend just makes a for a better appearance. Congrats on a trophy

x2 - the silver/black/white on those wing feathers is just gorgeous. I want that to be highlighted. Maybe a flushing pose? This seems like more of a duck pose to me but would show off the feathers well. Thanks for the feedback guys, this is why I came to the taxidermy forum.
Attachments
Eagle Head Mount Idea 2.jpg
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:08 pm

Geese take off too :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum