Blues and Snows

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Blues and Snows

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:18 am

Okay off the wall subject here, i have this thought where alot of people seem to think that a snow goose and a blue goose are the same birds in different phases of colors when in fact they are not the same birds while true the snow goose does enter a "blue" phase it is not quite the same. In the snow goose during its "blue" phase most of the time (i said most) there is still a white stripe down the stomach and the blue does not lace in through the head while an actual blue goose has normal slate blue colored belly and black or "blue' lacing through his head. Just some food for thought.

Remember if ya cant tell what it is before u shoot it, dont pull the trigger :thumbsup:

Tara
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:14 am

Tara,

You must be Lee's daughter?

I wanted to comment on the Snow Goose tidbit you put forth. While they will never change their color (unless juvenile), a white Snow and a blue Snow are all still Snows. Ducks Unlimited did a short article on this particular topic, and through scientific studies (including DNA samples) the USFWS has determined that they are actually the same bird, just different color characteristics. The Snow with the blue color has a dominate gene, and will usually come out during the next hatch of goslings. The Snows with the white coloration tend to breed with fellow white Snows, but if my memory serves me correctly the blues don't care much who they breed with. The Snow like most geese breeds for life as well, but will re-partner again if it's mate dies or is killed. Immature Snows have the blue coloration as well until they reach their second year.

Welcome aboard,

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:30 am

:smile: Havent read that aritcle apparently. but ty for welcoming me

Remember if ya cant tell what it is before ya shoot, dont pull the trigger :thumbsup:
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:09 pm

hey pete.. good guess. and worst of all she looks like me too, poor kid.
she has been hunting and around birds all her life, she is an axcellent canda decoy setter and a good caller. :gatgun: :gatgun:
one of these days she may be able to shoo t straight :skeet:

lee

idenify before you shoot(keeps ya legal) :thumbsup: :wink:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:50 pm

this coming from the man who blew nothing but tail feathers off some poor innocent pheasant.... :umm: oh and has to fall out of the boat in freezing water before he can hit the broad side of a barn. bite me dad :tongue:

Tara

Remember if ya cant tell what it is before ya shoot, dont pull the trigger :thumbsup:
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:19 am

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :hi:
lee idenify before you shoot(keeps ya legal) :thumbsup: :skeet:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum