First attempt with my issues and questions

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

First attempt with my issues and questions

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Well I have it set up to go down and learn from Jim McNamara this week. He asked about my experience and I have only completed one bird (before I knew I had to flesh and glands in the tail)that was a disaster. Then started 2 or 3 but never finished. He said it would be good to see where I am at.

So yesterday I gave one a shot and stuck with it. Took 10 hours and I wanted to stop a few times. All and all not too bad for what I call my first real one.

I had problems with the neck attachment getting smooth(skin placement?). I fought the one wing bone with the shoulder ball still attached(other side shot off which I lengthened to match, maybe resolved by cutting it off next time?)) . The back feathers seem the never lay nice and not show some down. I didn't think I would ever get the feathers over the wings for the pockets and there is a bit of loose skin on the breast area(maybe pin skin under the wing and just keep pin there?). The breast lost some feathers moving stuff around so much trying to get the pockets(maybe use a needle on the skin next time?). I used the real skull and didn't have anything to inject the feet(what can be used other than mastersblend that does not have a short shelf life?).

Feel free to let me know anything else. I'm hoping to learn some trick to make some of this stuff easier.

[img width=800 height=450]http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv26/bumblebeerx8/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0462_zps8133a555.jpg[/img]

fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Re: First attempt with my issues and questions

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:28 pm

I think you did just fine! You are your best critic. You know what you struggled with. I think it looks damn good. There's way more right about the bird than wrong.

Good job!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Good job :thumbsup:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby cootlover » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 pm

I have seen so called pro's do a hole lot worse I like it my self. I cant wait to see your tenth bird :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum