What's on everybody's workbench ...?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: What's on everybody's workbench ...?

Postby sprigpig1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:31 am

Nice tealer Pat
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks, off side wing didn't have a bone in it. Another good use for chopsticks!
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Just in, Jewels of the Jungle. Came in today from some happy hunters.

Just up, Obregon Redhead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Cannot wait to see the ocellated turkeys when they're done! I love those jungle birds!

Pretty redhead Pat.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Those turkey look pretty neat can not wait to see them done Pat. Looks like a stud of a redhead too.
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:45 pm

Sweet redhead!! Love the attitude of that bird Pat. Very easy on the eyes.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks, I try to do the divers more erect as they have a different balance point due to their short tail and tend to walk and stand that way. This one fell together and was done with feet injected in less than an hour from the tumbler. I wish all would be this easy. Helped that it was a Feb. bird in super plumage. It's not even some of the ones we thought were better that we saved. Rather be lucky than good.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby bandhunter20 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:13 pm

some geese we just finished
Attachments
1911759_4063219555334_777198295_n.jpg
Snow that i shot in Fort Collins CO (very rare)
10003113_10201693178864261_724482464_n.jpg
Hybrid Snow/Canada
Waterfowl hunting isn't a hobby, its a way of life.
Colorado Waterfowler
bandhunter20
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Finished this one up tonight. I have to say it almost just fell together which was nice. Going to add 2 drakes at some point swimming. Not sure what exactly im going to do on the base.

fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Very pretty!

Your training is certainly showing strong!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:55 pm

I hope to be as good as you guys one day. I really enjoy coming on this forum every day before school during lunch and all day after school. I will ask for critique as soon as I finish my first propably around next weekend flesher might be here then. I have three skinned and waiting to be fleshed. Just a random question for all you guys island X or Obregon?
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks Pete. I also made the wood base and the reeds.

I do not think I could pick just one. I plan on a trip to both along with cold bay. That way you can get some nice spring birds and then Alaska for a King and Pacific eider.
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:08 pm

fowlweatherfowler wrote:Thanks Pete. I also made the wood base and the reeds.

I do not think I could pick just one. I plan on a trip to both along with cold bay. That way you can get some nice spring birds and then Alaska for a King and Pacific eider.

I agree I have been debating between a Obregon or island X just both such a good hunt but very expensive for one but for two people is kinda outrageous. My dad said he will take me to one or the other for graduation. I am really leaning towards island X as I am trying to start a collection. I don't know if you guys say squatty420 St. Paul dead mount on the refuge forums but it was sick and I really want one like that. I really enjoy shooting my gun at anything and my dad thinks it's too much for 8 birds he doesn't really care about trophys. As for him he doesn't like shooting much but he likes to shoot if he is killing something so he wants Obregon. Just in a pickle. Got 2 years to think about it though .
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:28 pm

I did a layout hunt for divers on Lake Michigan, and as far as gunning goes, hard to beat that sort of in your face action.

Wish the limit was fifty birds, because you could be done in a few minutes shooting a six bird limit.

I'm partial to sea ducks and divers because I like to shoot at screaming birds, but both hunts are very special, and Ramsey Russell can make life easy for either hunt. I think both him and Pat will attest, that the warm weather, liberal shooting, accomidations, predictability with weather, and variety give Obregon the edge.

It sounds like you have the bug pretty bad, but at your age, slow down and enjoy the good hunting you have right where you're at. Pretty ringers, tree ducks, and BWT are very desirable to most collectors, so don't take what you currently have for granted!

You have plenty of time to collect.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Nicely put Pete.

Great looking butterball fowlweather :thumbsup:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Nice Ruddy Duck. They are greatly under appreciated. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

If my dad was going to foot the bill for a trip I'd pick St. Paul as door to door you're looking at around 8 grand. The flight from Anchorage to St. Paul will cost you as much from where you are to Anchorage if not more. Question is do you want an adventure where you might spend a week for less than a dozen birds or blow it out in Mexico with good weather and good shooting for a variety. Tough call, do both!

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:55 am

I would go with Mexico for a couple reasons. First, if you want birds you're going to mount don't temp yourself with a king eider too soon. Ya you can skin it and freeze it in a block of ice, but you can get a whole host of birds in Mex, and some you can't reasonably target elsewhere.

More importantly, this is a chance to share a perhaps once in a lifetime hunt with your father. If you don't think he'll get as much out of Alaska, I'd head to Mex. You can chase brant, cinnamon teal, Mexican mallards, a couple gorgeous quail species, and much much more. I guarantee you will both enjoy the trip.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:46 pm

I hate finish work.. Gotta be done I guess lol :mad:
image.jpg

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby duxrus » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:05 pm

I finished 40 something birds the other day and oh how much I hate airbrushing :fingerhead: this weather has birds taking longer to dry so apparently I am working faster than they are drying leaving one heck of a finishing up pile :no:

I will post picks soon of a few comp pieces once I kill some turkeys and make time to finish them

Love seeing everyone's work :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:06 pm

I'm the same way. Hate to paint. Only do it when I have no place else in my shop to put things or need some pick ups to make more room.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:59 pm

I stongly agree... Airbrushing sucks goat scrote.

Look forward to seeing your comp pieces Brian.

Pat your going to need an addition to that carriage house soon? Lol

One down a couple more left.. But they will have to wait..I'm going fishing :thumbsup:
image.jpg

image.jpg

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby montana bound » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:45 pm

I must be the oddball I love airbrushing. :yes:

Great looking Ruddy! :thumbsup:
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:50 pm

I've got another 250 sq. feet to take in as soon as I can get two freezers emptied down to where I can move them. I planned on doing it last year but Argentina got in the way. I have a floor full of mounts in the bottom of my Carriage House with no place to hang them. I'm embarrassed to show anyone my collection with the mess I have there. I've started an annex in my house,(my wife's house!) for a few things but it's not finished yet either. Now that it's turkey season, guess what's taking a back seat?

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:04 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:I've got another 250 sq. feet to take in as soon as I can get two freezers emptied down to where I can move them. I planned on doing it last year but Argentina got in the way. I have a floor full of mounts in the bottom of my Carriage House with no place to hang them. I'm embarrassed to show anyone my collection with the mess I have there. I've started an annex in my house,(my wife's house!) for a few things but it's not finished yet either. Now that it's turkey season, guess what's taking a back seat?

I hope to have the same problem some day :thumbsup:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:35 pm

Learning some choice Mexican words, albeit not very nice ones, working on the Mexican Mallards. Pinfeathers just like S.A. birds and Mottleds. Glad only two or three left.

This pose does show off the wing bars typical of Mallard subspecies.

The Waterfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Taxidermy Forum