What's on everybody's workbench ...?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: What's on everybody's workbench ...?

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Very nice looking brants. I could only imagine trying to mount a bird one handed as I struggle with two. Here's one to start the weekend hoping to get the drake done and maybe into the cans in he next few days. I did manage to get the 10ga support wire through and out the tip of the toe. Was not sure if it was going to make it.

fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby carpetguy88 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:54 pm

Mounted these two this weekend. Plan to add a drake wigeon and pintail the next time I have a free weekend. Mallard was a late season bonus with four curls, and got the gad on a Halloween trip to S.D. Best gadwall I've ever shot :)
Attachments
20140622_154204.jpg
carpetguy88
hunter

Postby marsh water » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:35 am

this is one thing that I have always wanted to do. I have done a lot of stuff in waterfowling but I have never brought myself to take a taxidermy class. My ex-brother in law went to Appalachian state in N.C. and just read some books. He is good enough that the college gave him a permit to acquire indigenous animals of the region and mount them in a special place in the library. But I aint that way. Best taxidermist I knew was a med school student that dropped out for 2 yrs to be a taxidermist, was great with a scalpel, but went back and is now a surgeon in Houston. Are correspondent courses any good, or just maybe read some books. I had some beautiful blue geese to mount, power went out in my shop where the freezer is and rotted them before I got them done.
marsh water
hunter

Postby duxrus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:31 am

marsh water wrote:this is one thing that I have always wanted to do. I have done a lot of stuff in waterfowling but I have never brought myself to take a taxidermy class. My ex-brother in law went to Appalachian state in N.C. and just read some books. He is good enough that the college gave him a permit to acquire indigenous animals of the region and mount them in a special place in the library. But I aint that way. Best taxidermist I knew was a med school student that dropped out for 2 yrs to be a taxidermist, was great with a scalpel, but went back and is now a surgeon in Houston. Are correspondent courses any good, or just maybe read some books. I had some beautiful blue geese to mount, power went out in my shop where the freezer is and rotted them before I got them done.

Go read the next post "Often asked Questions" :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:Remember the old joke about the one armed paperhanger? Well a one armed taxidermist is just as comical. About all I can do is complain. Worked on some habitat tonight though to keep from going crazy. These Black Brant have been collecting dust since last year and I didn't want to do a typical dead mount. I spent a lot of time picking up habitat down there after the hunts. The marine life there is so unique with the bivalves, pink barnacles, sand dollars etc. coupled with all the eel grass blown up in piles on the beaches makes for an interesting project.

awesome mount Pat. Very different. Im stealing the idea!!! :grooving: :grooving:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Very nice brant. Can not wait to chase them in Obregon in February.
This has been this week's project. I had a hen gadwall but it was not quite as nice as I wanted so will have to wait to get another. Very happy with the way these turned out.

fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:48 am

Dang Fowlweather, you ever work on small projects :lol3:
duxrus
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:50 am

My own personal birds no not really. I'm wanting to do a drake and hen of all the NA species plus a few. In order to do that where she won't kill me is mount them where they are still oUT of the way but there lol.

I do have a few friends birds getting dropped off today where I'll have 3 singles.
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby carpetguy88 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Finally done. Shot all of these in 2013 in 3 different states. Five of the best drakes I've ever shot.
Attachments
20140713_174340.jpg
carpetguy88
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:37 pm

fowlweatherfowler wrote: I'm wanting to do a drake and hen of all the NA species plus a few. In order to do that where she won't kill me is mount them where they are still oUT of the way but there lol.

I've heard that before out of my own mouth and it became like alcoholism. Little did I know where it would take me and what I'd end up with. Advice for you, build you a separate house for it all.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:10 pm

Yeah I can see it. Plan is to build the next house and have a finished basement for it all and a workshop.
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:12 pm

fowlweatherfowler wrote:Yeah I can see it. Plan is to build the next house and have a finished basement for it all and a workshop.

Haha...I'm in process with that same thing. Shop will be in working order this winter.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:42 pm

If you live in an area with a lot of ground moisture make sure your basement is sealed well and you have de-humidifiers. Have seen what that can do!
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby CrazyYouthHunter » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Sorry to ask this, but can anyone answer what I should do. I have sent in a wood duck banded. It was my first ever band so it is very special to me and I still haven't gotten it back. So how long normally does it take for a duck to be finished. I'm sort of anxious and just would like to know. Thank you before hand!

-Drake
Got my year all figured out and will have great duck hunting time after school!

CrazyYouthHunter
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:29 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:If you live in an area with a lot of ground moisture make sure your basement is sealed well and you have de-humidifiers. Have seen what that can do!

That's a great tip. Fortunately I have an air exchanger to cycle air throughout the house and humidifier/dehumidifier, but I haven't yet verified if it is actually holding the humidity where its programmed.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Yeah I plan on a finished sealed climate controlled basement. Here are a few things I'm working in addition to my 60+ hour normal work week. So much to do so little time.

The habitat the way I liked and the way he wanted with plain wood no photo

Lamp for a goose dead moint just need some barbed wire to finish up the fence post before starting to mount some geese. The wood is burnt pine.

Scull boat I'm finishing for hunting season.

fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:51 pm

First bird I've done all summer(Raining here can't work outside LOL) Its the first standing Goldeneye too. Got a bunch of preening to do too.

You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:14 pm

A lot of good looking stuff guys. Hope everyone had a great summer. Glad its almost over. Im ready for duck season! Had to knock the rust off and get one done yesterday.

"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:54 pm

Now you're just flaunting them. Excellent as always Brandon. I'm hoping in can wrap up my shop this winter and butcher a couple birds myself.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:01 pm

Lol thanks Brian. Post some pics of the shop when its finished, and the birds :thumbsup:

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby duxrus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Brandon I am going to start referring to you as Mr Tease posting up yet another dang cinny :tongue:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:28 am

Get in line Brian! Just because you two are going to Washington, doesn't mean you trump me! LOL

Still prefer those dead mounts Brandon! :lol3:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Get in line Brian! Just because you two are going to Washington, doesn't mean you trump me! LOL

Pete,

Now You how much I hate going on trips :wink: .....but If (when) I kill one of this red eyed ducks I will ship it to ya :tongue: :grooving: :tongue:
duxrus
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:02 pm

duxrus wrote:Brandon I am going to start referring to you as Mr Tease posting up yet another dang cinny :tongue:

Lol

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Pete-pec wrote:Get in line Brian! Just because you two are going to Washington, doesn't mean you trump me! LOL

Like I said.. not to late buddy lol

sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Taxidermy Forum