How to process goose down?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

How to process goose down?

Postby goosehappy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Sorry if this seems off topic, but don't know where to post this...Does anyone know how to process goose down for using in clothing. I've hated tossing my duck and goose carcasses when there is so much useable feather. So I've started dry picking softer down off the geese I shoot. In the past I used to just stuff it into my down jacket when it leaked feathers. Now I'm thinking of making a new jacket with all this down I have, but I'd like to know how to prepare it. ?? I've checked the internet, and all I can find is general information about the poultry industry.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Re: How to process goose down?

Postby sprigpig1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Don't know ... Perhaps wash in dawn dish detergent, fluff back up and dry with blow dryer ? Just a stab in the dark. If it's just lining a jacket or a blanket. I would think that would be good enough if you washed it thoroughly. Can't really think of anything else you would do need to it after washing it that wouldn't take away the surface area fluffiness of the down. Good question :huh:
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby ugajones » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:28 pm

Like the previous poster said, wash it with some dawn to get any blood off. Also put it in the freezer in a ziploc, while dry, for a few days, this will kill any mites that could possible have been on the bird. If you don't want to throw away your feathers find someone that ties flies. I tie my own and save my duck/ goose feathers for that.
ugajones
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Just remember that you only use the down and not simply a pile of feathers. Not real sure the easiest way to remove the down . Hmmmmm that is a good question
duxrus
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try washing it maybe in some kind of cloth bag. Freezing is no problem, my garage has been around 10 most of the month!
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum