New some help from my bird guys

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

New some help from my bird guys

Postby AAR » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 pm

So the time has finally come,to build an aviary and the main thing to me are what species are friendly by nature and would be a good match with my 9 year old son, and 4 year old daughter.i have heard that ducks can be skid dish and would at least like to have a couple of preferably American species that my kids could at least hand feed. Hopefully we have some breeders on here that can help, last thing I want is getting some roid rage duck drop kicking my daughter :lol3: anyway, open to any ideas. Swans are out, large geese are out, small geese would work too. Should also mention no domestics of any kind, only waterfowl normally found in the wild. Kids really like the teal species so hopefully their a little docile.

Thanks for any help!

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Re: New some help from my bird guys

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Because they are near and dear to me living here in Wisconsin, I would probably have wood ducks and more wood ducks. Never get sick of their rolling whistles and perfect colors. Not to mention it is a true success story of their unbelievable return from the brink of doom.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 pm

X2 on the Woodrow's ... Teal for sure.
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Baikal, Falcated, Silver, Ringed. Those are some neat looking exotic teal I can think of. If you want wood duck based stuff go with woodies and mandarins.

Old Squaw sound pretty cool too I think...but I don't know much about aviaries.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby AAR » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys ! So on the wood ducks (which is my daughters #1 pick) will they let you get semi close to them, or let her feed them?

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:48 am

AAR wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys ! So on the wood ducks (which is my daughters #1 pick) will they let you get semi close to them, or let her feed them?

Eric

Shock collars if they don't comply! :yes:

I would read up on imprinting Eric. If you got some birds and eggs, and incubated them yourself, I would imagine if your daughter was there as the adoptive mother, they would certainly let her do about anything? I have absolutely no idea on aviaries. I would have ducks already, if it wasn't a covenant rule where I live, that we cannot have any sort of birds or poultry. I have 1.5 acres, and there would most certainly be a netted pond in my yard if I could have one.

You know what I would raise? Mutts! Complete hybridization of everything wood duck. I would not become attached to them. I would make so many frankeducks and target the hearts of taxidermists….Or not? I think it would be difficult for me to ever put one of them down, and if I had live birds to look at, I might grow old of taxidermy as well? A position I unfortunately will never be in.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:46 am

If your aviary is going to be within ear shot of neighbors skip all geese. I'd also avoid hens of any species to keep things quieter, and civil. Is it going to be completely enclosed?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby bknilvr00 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:27 pm

beretta24 wrote:If your aviary is going to be within ear shot of neighbors skip all geese. I'd also avoid hens of any species to keep things quieter, and civil. Is it going to be completely enclosed?

This guy is right on the money... Avoid geese at all costs. Ours were noisy and ill tempered. I didn't like them to begin with(wife's idea) and they really didn't like me when one got the boot while it was trying to drown our welsh harlequin. Also, our smallest and originally quietest hen (Buff), is now the most obnoxious. Which is fine, I like listening to ducks, but its a hail call every two minutes in an attempt to get the boss(also wife) out there to feed them.

We have 5 ducks in a 20x30 pen with buckets and tubs for water. They will be getting a pond this summer, but I gotta wait for the ground to dry out... Irony...
bknilvr00
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum