Bad birds

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Bad birds

Postby Duck Nasty » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:00 pm

How do you guys deal with birds that are in bad shape? I was gifted 2 gads to practice with and the birds aren't in that great of shape. Out of the 4 wings only 1 wasn't shattered. The wings were so sharp they have ripped many holes in the underside of the wing. The drake had a chunk of of his head ripped pretty good. I'm still going to try and make a good flying mount with them just figured I have a lot of sewing to do. Is that about all you can do? The feet were also dried up like jerky so I figured I would have to soak them to inject without ripping. So far I have skinned them and fleshed washed and then put them in water and froze them. Any tips on handling these birds would help out a lot. Thanks guys
Duck Nasty
hunter

Re: Bad birds

Postby duxrus » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:48 pm

I used to practice on shot to crap birds . It is the best way to learn how to fix issues instead of practicing when it counts.

On broken wings just go slow. Sewing holes is just part of the game . I use a hanging noose and hook to invert wings. Gravity works with you instead of against . It Also allows your two hands to remain free.

My best advice is to never panic.
Last edited by duxrus on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duxrus
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:48 pm

I use the noose as well. The biggest issues I'm worried about are the rip on the head and the feet. I'm hoping letting them soak in the water will help rehydrate them so I can inject them. Does that work well or was I wasting time on that? As for the head I wasn't sure if I should sew it or glue it on the artificial.
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:49 pm

Thanks for the help duxrus
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:10 pm

I leave freezer burned legs alone until after skinning and washing. After soaking in soapy water for about twenty minutes the feet "should" loosen up enough to inject water . I then refreeze the skin until mount day. The ice inside then expands and helps stretch them back out. Once mounted I then use Masters Blend to plump back to normal

Sewing is safer then permanently gluing something. Kinda like using silicone compared to chaulk. Chaulk allows for the occasional... Oops :yes:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:20 am

Here is the first one out of the pair. She was a juvie and was shot up pretty bad. I would love for you guys to tell me what I need to improve on. This is my second bird first one flying. I just have it drying so I can change something if it is way off.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (48.51 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:48 pm

I am pretty new to taxidermy and have done two birds so far, and I am going to do 2 more this year. I am haveing lots of trouble skinning the wings. I have seen in many videos the noose teckneque, and i think I will try that out. It can be pretty overwhelming with those shot up birds lol the woodduck i just did had a wing blown off and a full payload of #4 shot to the face :yes: :yes: :yes:
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:44 pm

Mike, the wings are something that looks harder than it is. Okay, use the noose, and learn how the muscle works. I actually grab the skin in one hand and pull the armpit away to the elbow. This is a tight spot, and a couple cuts of a tendon and the elbow comes free. Then pulling with one hand and pushing the secondaries off the bone with the thumb of the other hand, and the job literally takes less than a minute. I liked using the "third hand" (hook versus noose), but don't use it any longer.

If I think of it, I will do a small tutorial on it in the future. This is a very simple task in all actuality, and once you get past the fear of screwing up, you will pull It off just as easy.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:19 am

here is a pic of the wing skinned past the humerus..
image.jpg

Here's another of the wing skinned down past the ulna/radius .
image.jpg

A noose is the way to go, like Pete said gravity helps out a lot . Plus it frees up both hands. They sell the nooses through taxi supply mags. Or you can be ghetto like me and use ocean fishing line and some bass hooks. Lol
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:28 am

Perfect done! Thanks Brandon!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mike657 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:22 am

Thank you guys I really appreciate the help.
Mike657
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:57 am

Mike657- check out the wing skinning tutorial Duxrus just posted in the sticky section. It goes into a lot more detail. Good luck

Brandon
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Mike657 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:19 pm

Thank you I will be sure to check it out.
Mike657
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum