Question for the collectors

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Question for the collectors

Postby beretta24 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:51 pm

So the birds in the NA grand slam are well documented, but I haven't found a good reference for all the huntable species and subspecies. Anyone have one?
beretta24
State Moderator

Re: Question for the collectors

Postby 0321Tony » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:57 pm

There's a few subspecies missing but this is the best I've found

Life is too short to pass up a day of hunting
0321Tony
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:10 am

Ya that's the NA grand slam, but it doesn't list aleutian teal, arctic or pacific eiders....and so on. That list may very well double if the subspecies are added, but I haven't found a good resource that covers them yet.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:22 am

The list would certainly grow. Hunting the Aleutians has certainly added more specimens just due to a bird who might frequent the islands who might migrate from Eurasia. I lack a few from the list, and have a couple more that are not on it.

I'm not even sure Pat has ALL the available ducks that may get harvested in North America? You could hunt or collect your lifetime, and perhaps never complete it.

I suppose even the Mandarin could be shot in NA technically....and not a simple pen raised bird either? :wink:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:34 am

That's probably the challenge with such a list...where do you stop?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:38 am

You stop when wall space ends! I have room for maybe 50 more, then time for an addition to the basement. ;-)
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:48 am

How many do you have left for the slam?
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:40 am

If I remember correctly mandarins now have huntable populations in the U.S. In three states.

The Canada goose list changes every other year with sub-species so I never have paid much attention to them . Then you have all the mottled/Mexican/ Florida mallard variation not mention varying eider sub species.

I am to the expensive ducks on my "to do" list so it will be awhile before I resume chasing them. Just can't see spending Thousands to do so until the kids are grown up and college is paid for.... Plus the wife would kill me for even asking :)
duxrus
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:09 am

duxrus wrote:If I remember correctly mandarins now have huntable populations in the U.S. In three states.

The Canada goose list changes every other year with sub-species so I never have paid much attention to them . Then you have all the mottled/Mexican/ Florida mallard variation not mention varying eider sub species.

I am to the expensive ducks on my "to do" list so it will be awhile before I resume chasing them. Just can't see spending Thousands to do so until the kids are grown up and college is paid for.... Plus the wife would kill me for even asking :)

I'm on the opposite end....getting what I can while there aren't any little booger eaters sucking up my funds!
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Woodsie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 pm

I am following the list but Coot is on my list in the Other catagoru.
6 more to go:)
W:)
Woodsie
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:26 am

Ibelive pat said he had them all plus a couple that you cant hunt anymore
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:22 pm

I think he said he had spectacles eider and stellars eider too.

Sent from my flux capacitor.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Depending on your recognition of huntable species there should be more than is on that list. There are 3 subspecies of Brant and all quite different looking. Atlantic and Pacific are night and day , no pun intended. Eleven subspecies of Canadas and again many are quite different. A lot of Eurasian Wigeon winter on the Alaskan Peninsula with a fair number are killed on the West Coast also. And, if you have ever held an Aleutian Greenwing you would readily agree that it is remarkably different than the American Greenwing. Two subspecies of Mottled Ducks, the Coastal and Florida and the Mexican Mallard is a Mallard subspecies and not a Mottled subspecies and again as different as night and day from the Mallards. Vagrants include Masked Ducks, Barnacle Geese, Greenland Whitefronts among others and I know of two Falcateds killed in Alaska. So things can get confusing. Add the fact that Trumpeter Swans are legal to shoot in Montana and you have another. I say all this to make this point. If a species has a subspecies native to the U.S. it should be included. Like the Swans, Brant, Mottleds, Common Eiders and Mexican Mallards. One only has to hold a Pacific and Atlantic Eider to see the vast difference by the way. I've collected all the birds on the list plus all the subspecies except Vancouver Canada and Trumpeters Swan, but that's coming if I can draw a permit for Montana and will hunt B.C. next year in hope of shooting a Vancouver. I was fortunate to take Emperor Geese, Steller's and Spectacleds before they were closed plus several vagrants to the U.S. like Barnacle Geese and Masked Ducks. But, I started collecting in 1963 so I had a head start before all the hype got going due to the internet age. Set yourself a goal and achieve it then add a little post-grad work to it with some of rarities and good luck.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks for sharing Pat. That's a good deal of what I was looking for.

For now, health, finances and an understanding family permitting, I want to get the NA species, and hunt on every continent (excluding Antarctica unless you can get me a license for an emperor penguin and import permit ;)). Three continents and near 30 NA species down. Hopefully I'll be blessed enough to manage the rest over the next 30-40 years.

Thanks again for taking the time to share some knowledge.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:33 am

Contact me and will be glad to help in any way I can. I remember when I killed my first duck in 1963 and paid the exorbitant price of $10 to have it mounted, still have it too by the way, and thought how nice it would be to have one of all of them. Like a domino effect it kept falling into place and by 1983 I had N.A. conquered sans a few Canada subspecies that I have since gotten. First of all you have to have a wife that is eligible for Sainthood to put up with all this then a little luck. It's much easier now with the internet as I had to write letters and wait weeks or months for replies and phone calls were so much more expensive then, No cell phones or web sites to help with logistics then either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:36 pm

At that time all you had was a book with pictures. That would have been tuff but bet there were more birds then
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:50 pm

Not necessarily as when I started waterfowl hunting in 1963 the limit was one Mallard or one Black Duck. No Canvasbacks either. Resident Canadas weren't being transplanted till the late 60's in my area. Swans weren't opened till the 80's in the selected states. Many species have rebounded since then. Less hunters then because the limits were so low. Many old timers had quit. But 3 bird limits were easy to get most times because there were no robos, just good calling, lead shot and paper mache decoys.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:22 pm

You really are a pioneer of sorts in my eyes Pat. I really enjoyed the article about you in American Waterfowler magazine. Family, friendships, taxidermy , luck and waterfowl hunting are some of cliff notes covered in the article. Interesting read for sure. And your display room!!! I will hopefully have one as full one day..

But you know how the old saying goes... You can hope in one hand.. Well, you know the rest. :thumbsup:

Truly envious,
Brandon
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum