Dorm Room Taxidermy

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: Dorm Room Taxidermy

Postby duxrus » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:23 am

Back to taxidermy, if I may make a simple observation and suggestion, take a look at how live geese stand and the positions of their necks. There is normally a "S" shape . It isn't àlways a drastic shape but present in some degree. There is a curved transition between the head and neck. Keep up the hard work and pictures coming !!!

I have always been "if it ain't about the numbers then why take a gun" Kinda person :tongue:
We wouldn't lease land, fight for public spots, travel long distances, buy the best equipment we can afford, go without sleep days on end, freeze our butts off, scout when not hunting, check the reports for migration news, check the weather 24/7, etc...if it wasn't about pulling the trigger. You could socialize with your group of buddies at the local Waffle House or sit on the warm couch watching the nature channel for a lot less $ and probably keep your woman happier :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Bandedpintail » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:12 pm

You can't find a place in fort collins without snows???
Bandedpintail
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:31 pm

Bandedpintail wrote:You can't find a place in fort collins without snows???

I know where a few snows are banded, I was talking about the Canada's
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 am

wanapasaki wrote:
Bandedpintail wrote:You can't find a place in fort collins without snows???

I know where a few snows are banded, I was talking about the Canada's

Banded snows in FoCo?
duckman27
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:16 pm

bandhunter20 wrote:hahah i don't have anything to prove. and i care cause i set season goals. how am i not a hunter ? cause I'm successful in the field ? that makes a lot of sense.

Gentlemen, this is nothing more than a phase. Sportsman's Education courses cover it well. It's actually the first (most juvenile) phase. An insatiable desire to kill anything that moves and keep score to "prove" that one is the greatest "hunter" that ever stalked the hinterlands. During the course of such events, there is usually a healthy dose of exaggeration, often to the point of unbelievability. For example, in this case, federal law stipulates that one can have in his possession at any given time after opening day, a total number of birds equal to three times the daily limit. Essentially, this means that one would have to consume six ducks and three geese per person, per day just to keep pace. And, while it is a possibility to gift some birds, trying to find "homes" for that many birds over the course of a season is somewhat questionable.

Give him time. I'm sure he'll grow up.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:56 pm

2013 season kill totals:

coots 2
grackles 5
beers 2190!

Frank, I might be exaggerating on the coots and grackles? :lol3: :beer:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bandhunter20 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:48 pm

Im not trying to have a "pissing match" here. I post my season totals cause Im proud of my success. Im not shovin it into your face or anything, its in my signature which you can choose to read. and yes i do agree with the shoot everything and anything phase but i can confidently tell you I passed that years ago. I have a passion for waterfowling just like you guys do and I put a lot of time and work into it and like to have success so i keep track. These numbers I have recorded are accurate and they are the numbers harvested on hunts i put together and is the total shot in the group, also it is both ducks and geese. I do consume and use all the meat wether it be jerky or the large batch of german sausage we have made every year at our local meat mart. So before you jump all over the "he'll grow up" idea you should understand the background of what i post. and Duxrus thank you for the constructive comments, that is the reason i posted this thread and thank you for realizing that.
Waterfowl hunting isn't a hobby, its a way of life.
Colorado Waterfowler
bandhunter20
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:12 am

bandhunter20 wrote:Im not trying to have a "pissing match" here. I post my season totals cause Im proud of my success. Im not shovin it into your face or anything, its in my signature which you can choose to read. and yes i do agree with the shoot everything and anything phase but i can confidently tell you I passed that years ago. I have a passion for waterfowling just like you guys do and I put a lot of time and work into it and like to have success so i keep track. These numbers I have recorded are accurate and they are the numbers harvested on hunts i put together and is the total shot in the group, also it is both ducks and geese. I do consume and use all the meat wether it be jerky or the large batch of german sausage we have made every year at our local meat mart. So before you jump all over the "he'll grow up" idea you should understand the background of what i post. and Duxrus thank you for the constructive comments, that is the reason i posted this thread and thank you for realizing that.

If you want to show your numbers, I could care less. I was trying to lighten the conversation.

Like Pat said in past posts, some guys need to keep their day jobs, because they make poor comedians.....that someone being me!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bandhunter20 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:17 pm

No pete i wasn't replying to you. That was replying to frank.
Colorado Waterfowler
bandhunter20
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Well let's not let this get any of us all pissed off. Frank is a good guy, pointing out what he thinks is young kid stuff, you are posting your numbers based on your goals, and neither of it means a whole lot, in the grand scheme of things.

We just need to focus on the important stuff! Beer!

I mean taxidermy!

I mean beer and taxidermy.

Let's just move on. Cool?

I like this forum because we don't typically have those pissing matches that we see on so many other forums. Life's short!

Thanks!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:46 am

Pete-pec wrote:I like this forum because we don't typically have those pissing matches that we see on so many other forums.

Keep it up with all that beer and those matches will be inevitable! :lol3: :lol3:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:01 am

I'm a happy drinker Frank! Never in high volumes either.

I never drink whiskey or brandy. That my friend, is the enemy!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby youngoilguy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Bump

This is fun.

Nice mounts. It's cool to have that stuff in your dorm room. Kudos
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:12 pm

Sorry but not this again :no: :fingerhead:
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby bandhunter20 » Thu May 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Dorm room mallard
Attachments
10274143_4188795734660_4246188477367647633_n-2.jpg
Mallard we just did a few nights ago!
Colorado Waterfowler
bandhunter20
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu May 01, 2014 7:35 pm

Much improvement! Each bird you learn from, and each bird you improve on.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Thu May 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Lookin good :thumbsup: .
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby bandhunter20 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks guys ! me and my buddy learn little by little, looking at your posts and work helps a lot !!
Colorado Waterfowler
bandhunter20
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:11 am

I think it looks like crap :no:
duckman27
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Fri May 02, 2014 11:06 am

duckman27 wrote:I think it looks like crap :no:

I thought it looks good for someone's 3rd - 4th bird and self taught . Don't ruin someone's confidence like that man. :mad:
At least he is trying.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Fri May 02, 2014 11:30 am

Tryingtaxi wrote:
duckman27 wrote:I think it looks like crap :no:

I thought it looks good for someone's 3rd - 4th bird and self taught . Don't ruin someone's confidence like that man. :mad:
At least he is trying.

Serious question:

If you got your pintail back from a taxi looking exactly like that, what would you think?

I have the utmost confidence that he and his roommates will continue to practice, honing their craft.

Are they ready to start a business? No. Would I have any of my birds done by them right now? No. Will their skills improve with time? More than likely.

Sometimes, the best motivation is exactly what you don't want to hear.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Fri May 02, 2014 11:37 am

I never said he was ready to start a business. I said it looks good for a beginner. I always check my taxidermists work out before sending them something besides that one time I now send all my birds to two of the three best bird taxidermists in the world TH,SM, and JF. I just believe encouraging someone will make them feel like they are doing good. It looks better than my ducks because I haven't got to finish one. I have seen some birds way worse than that. I'm not wanting to start a peter measuring contest over if his bird looks good or not. It looks good for a beginner in my book.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Here's the one I finished up a few weeks back. One of the wings was a little shot up so that's why I chose a different pose. By no means is it a stellar mount but I think it's definitely better than Mr. Bandhunter20's
Attachments
45678564.jpg
duckman27
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Fri May 02, 2014 1:16 pm

How many birds have you done. No offense but that's pretty bad but you will get better though the wings are too far forward and overextended try to put them back a little more and putting less bend in them. Just a few minor changes make all the difference. :thumbsup:

I personally think his looks better but he propably has more birds under his belt.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri May 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Anyone want to guess how long I will allow this to go on?

This forum is designed to make everyone feel welcome enough to post, no matter their skill level. I dont mind minor ribbing with sarcastic undertones, but saying nothing when it doesn't blow your mind is the high road. If someone asks for a critique, then give good critiques. I hate to hear "that sucks". We all start somewhere near the bottom. Some stay there like me, and some continue to set the bar.

Be kind. Hate consumes too many people. Change what is wrong with this world, be the bigger man, and turn the cheek.

Remember, I have a giant eraser. I would just assume not using it.

Thanks.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Taxidermy Forum