Goose forms

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Goose forms

Postby bandgitter91 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:38 am

I am learning to do birds and have done a few at work, I am looking to mount a Nice Canada goose i got this year in a landing type position. Does any body have any thoughts on what brand of form i should get to make it a really nice mount. I have been looking and know that some forms have more detail than others. Does this really matter? And should i get a standing or flying type of form? Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.
bandgitter91
hunter

Re: Goose forms

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:26 pm

I don't think the form really matters. I use a slightly smaller form, and use "caulking" and cotton to fill where needed. I typically use ferebee bodies from McKenzie.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:35 pm

X2 what Pete said but I use the cheapest forms I can find :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 pm

I use cheap forms too. I happen to live within 20 minutes from two taxidermy supply companies, so I don't have additional shipping cost. I also like ferebee bodies because of their perfect foam density and their smooth finish.

But I'd use a block of foam without blinking an eye.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:39 am

Pete-pec wrote:I use cheap forms too. I happen to live within 20 minutes from two taxidermy supply companies, so I don't have additional shipping cost. I also like ferebee bodies because of their perfect foam density and their smooth finish.

You don't wind excelsior? :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 am

Since geese can tend to be a nightmare and defatting them can be problematic also. A tip I use to take care of residual fat, which we all know can rear it's ugly head from nowhere, that can cause leakage at the seam is to put a paper towel between the form and skin. It is like a fail safe.

Frank, I used to wrap goose bodies but at minimum wage I could buy three foam ones with what time it took me! I still wrap my duck bodies though.
Last edited by The Waterfowler on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 am

Frank Lopez wrote:
Pete-pec wrote:I use cheap forms too. I happen to live within 20 minutes from two taxidermy supply companies, so I don't have additional shipping cost. I also like ferebee bodies because of their perfect foam density and their smooth finish.

Frank

You know Frank, I have never wrapped a bird? I've always wondered how your wiring would work and stay locked in?

I'm not against it, and if it would work, I would actually love to have that in my repetoire.

Frank, please do a tutorial with your technique if you have done it, and have the time.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Pete-pec wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:

Frank

You know Frank, I have never wrapped a bird? I've always wondered how your wiring would work and stay locked in?

I'm not against it, and if it would work, I would actually love to have that in my repetoire.

Frank, please do a tutorial with your technique if you have done it, and have the time.

Jeez, now I really feel old! :lol3: Being a hobbyist and doing taxidermy when the mood strikes me, so having a "full line" of manikins in stock isn't really a viable option. So, falling back on the original lessons I started with back in the 60s, I wind nearly all my bodies. As far as how the wiring works, it's about like the foam bodies. If done properly, it locks right in. I think the biggest advantage to winding is that, once you know how, you can pretty much build any size body you need relatively quickly and give it as much detail as necessary. The detail is not nearly as much as in a foam manikin, but then again, that much detail on a bird is rarely necessary.

As far as a tutorial is concerned, I might just try. The problem is that in order to do it correctly, you really need the skinned carcass next to the one your making for the pictures to make any sense. Right now, the freezer is empty, I just finished a hen wigeon using several new techniques learned here from our esteemed panel of experts. I don't charge anyone for my mountsm so I try to keep things to a minimum. Otherwise, at those prices (or lack there of :lol3: ) I'd be down in the dungeon 24-7. Mostly, I do mounts as favors for friends who take me on hunts or have a child who too their first bird.

All that said, I have a mallard coming in in about a week. If I can get some pictures then, I'll put together a tutorial.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:51 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:Frank, I used to wrap goose bodies but at minimum wage I could buy three foam ones with what time it took me! I still wrap my duck bodies though.
I hear you, Pat. A few years ago a friend shot a turkey and asked me to mount it. I had neither the space nor the knowledge in how to freeze the skin after prepping, so I fell back on the old standard. By the time I got done winding that body, my hands were cut up like Santiago's in "The Old Man and The Sea" :lol3: . If I ever figure out how to correctly order a manikin (size wise), things will be different!

Frank
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby bandgitter91 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:00 pm

Alrighty well thank you guys for your help i appreciate it i figured thats what i would hear and was going to do, but figured maybe asking around might help some. I do appreciate it.
bandgitter91
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum