What you guys think?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

What you guys think?

Postby montana bound » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Well I just finished the display I am presenting at the Walleye Unlimited Banquet on April 12th.

What you guys think?

You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Re: What you guys think?

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:36 pm

I have very little experience with replicas, and have only mounted a few skin mounts, but depending on the water, walleye can look vey dark and very light. Our fish off of Green Bay are normally pretty gold, and run lighter. I think yours looks fine, especially due to the fact that you have no sort of stencil that the natural skin provides.

Here is the one and only walleye I have that I attempted to mount and paint. 29 inch post spawn caught off the Fox River off of Green Bay. Caught and mounted perhaps six or seven years ago?
Attachments
20140316_182403.jpg
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pezteq84 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:29 pm

I think it looks great but i would like to see the fins roughed up a little and not so perfectly rounded
pezteq84
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Thanks

Years ago I did both skin and repro mounts but now I only do the repros.
I used a paint schedule I picked up from McKenzies , this is what our walleye look like up here, lots of yellow and greens
Theres 19 colors of paint used in this mount, plus half a pack of 0000 grade steel wool. LOL
I was airbrushing half the day .
montana bound
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:53 pm

And there's maybe 7 colors in that particular mount. Yellow, gold, bronze, white, flesh, green, gill red, and satin sealer.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby montana bound » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:53 pm

pezteq84 wrote:I think it looks great but i would like to see the fins roughed up a little and not so perfectly rounded

Thats the whole point in the repro, everything is a cast from a real fish so you dont get the ragged distorted edges you have with skin mounts. If it were a fish that was in a stationary pose Id heat the fins and put waves in them as if they were waveing them in possition. On a moveing mount they are more ridged like rudders.
montana bound
hunter

Postby montana bound » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:03 pm

Heres the final cut!
Toned the fins down and the white.

montana bound
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:12 pm

I love the folks on another site giving you grief about your color selections when fish have such a high variation in color even in the same location much less different areas :fingerhead: I would gladly display it :thumbsup: The only thing I would change is the direction of the soon to be lunch. If I saw that mouth of teeth heading my way I would be hauling butt in the opposite direction :grooving: .... Plus it would keep the "flow" of the scene moving forward. Since I am the local habitat fanatic "I" would add some yellow/green to the rocks to blend everything together. With such a color contrast between the fish and surroundings the fish will look brighter no matter the paint job . Please don't take my opinion personal as my wife reminds me daily about it often being wrong. :lol3:

I would go crazy having to paint something like that . A wood duck bill is enough different colors to deal with for me :beer:
duxrus
hunter

Postby montana bound » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Thanks duxrus

Most of the guys on the other site all have fish mounts done the way they do them up here.
And they would be outstanding mounts back in 1914.
I've seen at least 100 fish mounts out here and the all look the same . A real good skin mount but with no color. They mount them then seal them and that is it. I dont think anyone out here knows what a air brush is.

I agree on the perch, The perch come like that , I ordered a right turn and got a left turn instead. I'll order another one with my next order.

The paint schedule I used is one from Lou Wynia, he does cutting edge reproductions and his fish colors are over the top.
montana bound
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 am

Heres one Ive had for about 10 yrs . I just dusted it off for a pic, lighter tones on this one.

montana bound
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm not a fish guy.. But it looks nice to me Montana .
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum