Bahamian pintail skin needed

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Bahamian pintail skin needed

Postby Tryingtaxi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:23 am

Does anyone's know of anyone who woulda have a bahamian pintail skin. I will pay for a farm raised of course .
Last edited by Tryingtaxi on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Re: Bahamian pintail skin needed

Postby duxrus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:44 pm

Taxidermy.net :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:14 pm

Yea I posted there but either people are really helpful or want to argue :no:
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:59 am

Try googling this guy. His name is Marty and owns a taxidermy in Corpus Christi Tx. His company is called All Creatures big or small (I think). Hes a bird guy and has almost every bird under the sun mounted. He will probably know where you can find one.

Good luck
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:54 am

Tryingtaxi wrote:Yea I posted there but either people are really helpful or want to argue :no:

I have parted ways with that forum.

Not only some fighting, but some whacked out retards. There's a douchy dork of a guy over there who is an internet cop, and has made me not want to return, and happens to be a certifiable nut-case. I was asked to host bird of the week in September, but called Matt (KMA just a few days ago to say hey, I'm out of here!

I do enjoy a few people over there, but it has been outweighed by the negativity of others in my opinion.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:16 pm

Pete-pec wrote:
Tryingtaxi wrote:Yea I posted there but either people are really helpful or want to argue :no:

I have parted ways with that forum.

Not only some fighting, but some whacked out retards. There's a douchy dork of a guy over there who is an internet cop, and has made me not want to return, and happens to be a certifiable nut-case. I was asked to host bird of the week in September, but called Matt (KMA just a few days ago to say hey, I'm out of here!

I do enjoy a few people over there, but it has been outweighed by the negativity of others in my opinion.

I agree I enjoy nancy C , your posts were helpful Pete-pec ,duxrus,tony finazzo and wing tips are really helpful IMO George is annoying and just wants to fight
Also this is completely unrelated but any tips to thaw ducks fairly fast
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:08 pm

The fairly fast thing is sort of a scary question. Here is why I say this, and please understand this is just how I see it with my frame of mind. If you are needing to thaw a duck fast, it sort of sounds like you are going to try and squeeze it in, because some other plans perhaps fell through? I think thawing a bird overnight on a towel with a ceiling fan at room temperature is best. The other advantage this offers, is you can take the needed time to deal with a bird you were prepared for. Make sense?

Can you power thaw? Heck yes! Warm water, completely submerged. That works, but I still prefer to thaw it slowly.

I am giving you this advice because I'm guessing you are fairly new at the process of taxidermy, and although I can skin a duck in less than a half hour, I certainly remember how long it used to take me lol.

Don't do the microwave :biggrin:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:00 pm

Lol didn't think of the microwave this will be my first bird greenwing hen. I will need critique so I will post it when done. What do you think would be the easiest pose standing or flying. Also do you know any posts about a broken wing. I would have thawed another one but I set her out almost 3 hours ago and is almost thawed and noticed she had a bb to the back of the head easy fix I hope.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:09 pm

Go to the tutorial section on tnet and look for wing tips. Eugene explains his method there. Broken bones are quite frankly part of the gig. Gotta deal with it.

Head shots can suck, but sew loose stitches so as not to torque those feathers.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Last edited by Tryingtaxi on Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:52 pm

http://s347.photobucket.com/user/Ross0906/media/image_zpsf5e4c06b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Can I just groom the feathers to cover it or will there be consequences later
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:30 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:http://s347.photobucket.com/user/Ross0906/media/image_zpsf5e4c06b.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Can I just groom the feathers to cover it or will there be consequences later

Looks like a shot hole? After you have the bird skinned, fleshed, and washed, it really shouldn't be an issue. The blood will be gone and the feathers should groom fine.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:20 pm

Let's just this poor bird went through a cheese grater :biggrin: I'm going to try again tomorrow with another bird it was really fun I only had trouble with the wing any tips I cut huge holes in it trying to get it pas the ulna and radius I did awful and ripped out all the tertiaries( I think they are called that the green part in the wing ) :fingerhead: finally got everything done and had to get rid of it I put it in the freezer for spare parts though. Any tips on dealing with broken wings, deffatting without a wheel ( I am going to buy one soon),and skinning the head. Also if anyone has any extra teal or anything I would love to have one will of course pay shipping. I really enjoyed "skinning" my first bird just if I could get a final product :biggrin:
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Tryingtaxi wrote:Let's just this poor bird went through a cheese grater :biggrin: I'm going to try again tomorrow with another bird it was really fun I only had trouble with the wing any tips I cut huge holes in it trying to get it pas the ulna and radius I did awful and ripped out all the tertiaries( I think they are called that the green part in the wing ) :fingerhead: finally got everything done and had to get rid of it I put it in the freezer for spare parts though. Any tips on dealing with broken wings, deffatting without a wheel ( I am going to buy one soon),and skinning the head. Also if anyone has any extra teal or anything I would love to have one will of course pay shipping. I really enjoyed "skinning" my first bird just if I could get a final product :biggrin:

Use the search function. You'll find some people have made some tutorials and are being generous enough to show you ways that work for them. You can also check out the "Wingtips" over on taxidermy.net. Those are some decent tutorials as well.
Broken wings happen. Generally they are wired and fixed after the bird is skinned and put into their final position. Be careful. The first time you run a piece of bone under your fingernail, you'll know it.
Defatting without a wheel can be done, but I've heard a wheel is much faster and leaves a better product.
Skinning the head...use the search function.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Duxrus has a great wing skinning tutorial at the top. Just takes time and practice. go SLOW for your first few, and after that it will start to become second nature. Make sure your bird is thawed out.. I prefer my birds to be about 85 percent thawed out..( less blood and stuff getting on the feathers. But for your first few thaw them out 110 percent.

Don't worry about every hole or broken bone along the way... Make a mental note and move on. Of course in your case your just trying to get one skinned out right? You will absolutely positively need a flesher...do some research on this forum and taxi net. They are easy to build. It doesn't matter how good your bird turns out, if it is not cleaned and preserved right you might as well just throw it away. Flesh by hand... Good luck. It can be done but it is going to be grooling. Not saying it can't be done or discourage you but more on the side of getting all the fat off that bird and freeing up the feather tracks as well as the pesky membrane that can tweek feathers two weeks later.

Your off to a good start and learning how to skin birds is how it all starts.
Were all here to help but there is also infinite posts on these forums that will answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck,
Brandon
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:06 pm

Yea I will look for duxrus tips and wingtip it was really fun I was really surprised. I'm hoping I could make some money very later in the future. I just really wish I wasn't limited on birds :sad: I will probably try to buy a fleshing wheel within the next few weeks anyone have any brands they prefer and around how much will they run . If I wear gloves while fleshing will the bone still go under my nail ? As weird as it may sound I really enjoyed destroying that bird. :biggrin: I hit the guts and that smell I can not stand it I got sick but I was having too much fun :lol3:
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 pm

Like others have said skinning and fleshing correctly are a must and the foundation work.

In your picture it looks like you made your initial cut all the way to the vent. I stop where the sternum does (basically in line with the legs. On thinner skinned birds may continue to rip to the vent but no sense in adding more sewing.

You can get a skin relatively clean without a fleshing wheel but a FAT thin teal like that would challenge a true master. Most people use a combination of both scissors and wheel. If I was you I would put things on hold until I had a fleshing wheel. Now a wheel isn't the magic wand either. They definitely take practice to conquer and plan on plenty holes in your future. It comes with the territory.

YouTube is a great tool that gives you a better visual over only pictures .

Good luck
duxrus
hunter

Postby sprigpig1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:57 pm

Hey man.. If your having fun that is half the battle. I wear thin disposable gloves when I flesh just for sanitary reasons. Yes put safety first but don't habitually worry. There are injurys in every occupation and hobby. And I'm sure everyone on here could tell you injury stories involving taxidermy.

Just keep your eyes out for guys gifting birds or selling captive reared birds on this forum and taxi net.
Just be carefull asking for birds on the other site. Sure, throw a line out.. If someone wants to help you, they will.

Just don't chronically ask for birds over there. You will get an earful.

Brian, what are you still doing up? Lol
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby Tryingtaxi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Well I finished the second duck it's not pretty but it's better than the last one. Getting better at the wings. Now I got two stupid questions . I can't open my masters blend any tips to open it or should I get a wrench and the other is what is the better side to sew on the inside or outside?
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 pm

The red's cap is a pain sobkeep vice grips close :)

Not sure about what you are asking about inside or out ?
duxrus
hunter

Postby Tryingtaxi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:09 pm

I cut a "few" holes :biggrin: so I should sew from the fat side right
Tryingtaxi
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:19 pm

I always rinse my mb caps with acetone before screwing the lid on. It helps.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:27 pm

When sewing holes always do so on the inside. Feathers can't get in your way and you can see how the feather tracks run :thumbsup:

Pete, I just don't screw the cap tight :nana:
duxrus
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum