New Mount!

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

New Mount!

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:22 pm

I just wanted to know everybody's opinion. The feathers on the right wing (white patch) are a little weird. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Re: New Mount!

Postby redheaded » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:36 pm

Head looks a bit awkward in my opinion.
redheaded
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:30 am

redheaded wrote:Head looks a bit awkward in my opinion.

It looks better on the wall Image

ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:54 am

Them buffies are some pretty birds. I have 3 at the taxidermist now.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:06 am

Grooming is decent, but imo the wings are outstretched too much....especially for a buffie, and the scapulars are away from the body a bit more than they should, and I see drumming on the leading edge of the coverts. The tail could be spread a bit more to keep loft. I agree the head is torqued, and would not typically fly like that.

The mount is what is referred to the butterfly mount because it is designed to display the bird in its entirety. We have seen far worse, and overall, not bad. I typically don't comment but you had asked, and this is what jumps out at me.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 am

x2
duxrus
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Main reason I like this website and forum is guys like Pete and Brian are respectful of visitors and not the holier than thou type seen on several other sites that I won't mention. Most people ask a simple question and don't expect a comedic answer from someone that needs to keep their day job and their mouth shut. I was once told that there is never a stupid question but often a stupid answer. I hurt for some of the mounts that people pay decent money for and know from the tone of the post that they are less than happy. I try to be honest and agree with the above about head position and wing stretch. This is why the secondaries don't lay right with a wing pulled that straight. I often say to people that ask about bird wings to hold their arms out palm up and notice the dip between wrist bow. his is the normal posture of a birds wing. Not that they can go almost straight but it looks more natural to mount them with the normal bends. That way the feathers can line up like they should be.

Since you're from Chattanooga where I was born and raised we've probably hunted the same areas there. A lot of fond memories growing up and hunting the Tennessee River from Wheeler to Watts Bar. Things have changed for sure with the bridge where Blythe Ferry used to be, Hale's Bar Dam gone, million dollar homes in sloughs where I used to shoot Blacks, Canadas and Mallards. I helped release the first transplant Canadas on Hiwassie Island in the 60's and now look how they have grown. First duck I ever had mounted was a drake Bufflehead for the exorbitant sum of $10 that took me two weekends of mowing yard to pay for. You've got some fine taxidermists in your area. Look up one in Bridgeport for your next mount. Sorry for the ramblings of an old guy but your name brought back memories of yesteryear.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:00 pm

This is the mount I chose to base it off of but it really didn't turn out like it. I really don't know a good taxidermist to go to because this is my first bird. My friend got a golden eye done by her and it looks great. So I expected pretty go worked but It was a bit bad.

ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:21 pm

You rarely see Buffleheads in that position as divers don't jump vertical which is what that appears to be. This day and time it's easy to ship and receive birds to and from good taxidermists. Like I said Chattanooga to Bridgeport is maybe 30 minutes tops and Duxrus isn't that much further.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:24 pm

More advice? You can ship a bird anywhere, and there are sooooo many good taxidermists out there. I recommend NOT using a mounted bird as a reference for a mount you are looking for. In my opinion, mother nature is the ultimate in posing a bird. Google images are hard to beat!

Send a PM off to Pat, I think he has someone in mind. I know a guy from Tennessee as well if you PM me wanting to keep it local?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum