going to gets some ducks mounted but first i need some help.

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

going to gets some ducks mounted but first i need some help.

Postby roscoesbuddy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:13 am

i'm going to get a pair of buffleheads and a pair of hooded megansers mounted. though i'm unsure of what to do. see i have 2 drakes of each and a couple females of each and i don't know which ones are the best. would the taxidermist think i'm crazy if i take them all down and tell him to use the best ones for the mount. never done this before and don't want to look stupid. any input would be great thanks guys.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:36 pm

Roscoe,
Not a bad idea at all. Your taxidermist will actually appreciate it if you brought in several ducks to choose from. You said you were not sure which birds were in better shape, and that is the first time I ever heard someone admit that he may not know this. Some guys look at this newly killed bird and say he's just beautiful, and quite often it's a taxidermists nightmare. Problems can range from a dog with a hard mouth to a nasty shot at close range to a early season poorly plummed bird, or an immature bird all together. Needless to say they all suck to work on. Your taxidermist will like the birds your bringing him, because they are some of the toughest skinned birds to work on. I have a hen and drake of each in my collection, and both species are gorgeous birds. What time of the year were they harvested? I can give you an idea if their plummage will be worthy of being mounted. If your taxidermist says he'll get rid of the other birds for you, there's a good chance they're all in good shape. Congratulations on your first step into a sick addiction. I have over forty birds in my collection! :thumbsup: Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby roscoesbuddy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:01 pm

thanks pete means a lot. at least it put my mind to rest. and the ducks were all taken in late december and january.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:17 pm

I can probably tell you that plummage is not a problem. Unless those birds are bloodied up with some big tears, you should have some perfect specimens! I sent you a private message. Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby firebird » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:22 pm

You can go to Taxidermy.net and there is a list state by state where you can browse taxidermists websites from your area. Compare lots of work before you make your choice!
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Goosen » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:53 am

If you need help Pete-pec is a good man to learn from he is my hunting buddy and has a lot of neology in that area. :thumbsup: good Luck and have fun. :salude:
See ya in the field
Goosen
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum