Beginners

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Beginners

Postby Ledford » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:44 am

I see several guys on here looking to get into taxidermy or to just give it a try. Everyone seems to be looking for how to books or videos. Look up breakthrough magazine and taxidermy.net. Breakthrough has several instructional books out that are done by some of the very best in the business. Also just about anyone who is anyone in taxidermy is on the taxidermy.net forums and these guys and girls on the site are more than willing to help. look in their archives or post a wanted ad and you'll get more than your looking for.
Ledford
hunter

Re: Beginners

Postby garlicsalt » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 pm

cool thanx
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby duxrus » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:34 am

The tutorial forum has pages to look at on taxidermy.net
duxrus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:54 am

I would argue just one point about that statement (speaking of the bird forum). Everyone who is anyone, IS NOT on that forum. As a matter of fact, there are very few people who are anyone really, and that applies to lending any information with exception to the most absolute newbie questions. The wingtips are certainly helpful tutorials, but Eugene has now left to FB to do his thing, and no one has replaced those tutorials with anything new.....although he shared plenty!

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but to be honest, I'm thinking about taking a break from that forum, simply due to all the argumentative people, and the silly little fights that are behind the scenes. You could probably argue that I'm doing the same thing here lol? I'm just saying it is not what it once was. There are some people (like in any business) with some super-egos, that would just assume argue on how to tie a shoe. We all know there are about ten thousand different techniques in this wonderful world of taxidermy....don't we Brian? LOL

Don't get me wrong, we get the same newbie questions here, but folks are sharing far less than ever, due to the influx of people deciding to give taxidermy a try on their own. Getting a piece mounted is purely a luxury, that I understand. I do not understand why so many full time taxidermists get bothered by this and refuse to share ideas? If you do good work, you will not lose your market share. You still need artistic talent to pull off the mount as well as composition and balance. This is typically inherent, and not a learned trait. If these newbies give it a try, and most realize it is not as easy as it might look, they will certainly come back and get their stuff mounted by a professional.....not always, but most often I would think?

Breakthrough is a great magazine!

Please know (Ledford) I'm not trying to cause a stir. I've just been teetering on the fence on taking a break.....from most forums to be honest lol.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duxrus » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:05 am

Dang hater :tongue:

I agree as usual :fingerhead:

I love the US vs Europe stuff going on. My tweetie bird trumps your duck and vise versa :grooving:
duxrus
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:06 am

I agree it was hard to find help when I decided I wanted to start as a hobby only. I knew it was very involved. Videos were lacking and I seen some of the questions people were asking with some never really answered. I was luck enough to find a guy close that does nice bird work willing to show me the ropes on the basics. I can say I'm lucky enough to have a artistic touch which really helps.

I can agree on taxi.net its not quite as helpful as it once was openly. Being I have just started I do run across questions most I can work through but I'm just getting ready to start doing habitats. In then end I only ever had a desire to do my own personal birds
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby cinnamon » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:33 pm

I would still consider myself to be a beginner having done only about 20 birds. I think the main thing would be to give it a try. With each bird you hopefully learn something to carry on to the next. Be your own toughest critic and dont take the criticism of others with the wrong attitude. If it all possible, find a place to take a class. You will speed up your progress by taking a 3 day class, and learn in those 3 days what you may never learn by searching the internet and watching film. I really appreciate everyone that has helped me along the way and still have miles to go. Pete-pec and Duxrus seem to be great guys. If individuals like this leave these forums no one benefits.
cinnamon
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:37 pm

Kind words sir!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sprigpig1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:46 am

cinnamon wrote: Pete-pec and Duxrus seem to be great guys. If individuals like this leave these forums no one benefits.

I will agree with this 110%..
"suppose you were an idiot; and suppose you were a member of congress, But I repeat myself".- Mark Twain

"Go to heaven for the climate , go to hell for the company".- Mark Twain
sprigpig1
Forum Moderator

Postby duxrus » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:32 am

Pete,

We have these folks fooled :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

I learned long ago the only stupid questions are those that are never asked and like when skinning a cat there are always 101 ways of doing something in taxidermy. Try to learn about every method you can and figure out what works best for YOU. I have many taxidermy friends across the country and love seeing how others do this or that to get their results. After doing taxidermy for over twenty years now (dang i am getting old) I am still not afraid to give a new method a try. You never know until you try is a great motto for any occupation.

:beer:
duxrus
hunter

Postby montana bound » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Back when I first started back in 1983, there was no internet forums to go too.
No videos.
I learned by becoming a student to a very accomplished Taxidermist from Cape May New Jersey.I spent 3 years traveling the 45 minutes to his place on weekends and evenings and working in his shop hands on. It cost me about $12000.00 but I learned a lot.
He did birds but his specialties were Deer heads and Reproduction fish.
Back then we had no reproduction bird heads and bird bodies had just come out and they were horrible. We wrapped our bodies and used the real heads on birds.
I like the fact that today you can go on Youtube and watch taxidermy videos and come on here and look at others work. I really like to look at the work of the guys that are so much better than me , it gives one a high bar to shoot for.
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum