broken wing, dtill mountable?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

broken wing, dtill mountable?

Postby fishon!! » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:49 am

shot a nice drake spoonbill the other day, and kinda want to get it mounted. hiwever when i threw it across the blind to my buddy, he decided to take his chances. noiw he has a broken wing. it's right at the joint, but not really noticable, i think a good taxidermist would be able to deal with it. what do you think?
save your confederate dollars, cause the south will rise again!!
fishon!!
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:07 am

Very rarely does a bird not have some damage when shot. I'd rather fix a wing than try to fill a pellet hole/s in the head. Fixable? By all means, yes. Sometimes the bird looks absolutely flawless from the out side, and people cradle them like their holding a newborn baby. Then it makes it to the taxidermist, and he skins the thing, turns it inside out, fleshes it with a wire wheel, washes it, tumbles/dries it. runs wires, and then gets back to the preening. In other words the bird goes through some abuse in the taxiing alone. Not to mention one that looks fine on the out side, and was shot three times because it was a cripple, or a hard-mouthed dog put his chompers on it, or it is full of pin feathers, etc. etc.

Bring it to your taxidermist, and he'll tell you if it's a go or not, but it should be fine. I would think that a Shoveler shot this late in the season would be in great plumage, and they sure are a pretty bird when they are full-feathered. :thumbsup:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby montana bound » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:09 am

A broken wing is not a problem . Ive mounted lots of birds with broken wings , Ive had many that I had to rebuild the whole wing bone . A good Taxidermist will have no problem , it just might cost a bit more to have it done. :thumbsup:
You get out of a dog , what you put into a dog!
montana bound
hunter

Postby fishon!! » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:54 pm

montana bound wrote:it just might cost a bit more to have it done. :thumbsup:

not quite the answer i was looking for, considering it will probably be a year before i have the money to do it..
save your confederate dollars, cause the south will rise again!!
fishon!!
hunter

Postby duckhunt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:29 am

If there's not alot of skin damage it realy shouldnt cost anymore you would be surprised what can be fixed :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
duckhunt
hunter

Postby jpsxpress » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:40 am

Fixing broken wing bones is standard procedure. It's no big deal.

Looking for brass banded Zink calls
jpsxpress
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum