can can skull ?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

can can skull ?

Postby Joel » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:40 pm

This is my first canviseback and this has to be one of the fatteies birds I have ever messed with and the harder I try it seams I just cant get all the meet out of the skull any sugestions? I have only messed with divers due to there tuff skin Im a beginner. as of right know I have him fleashed washed and soaking in pre-suv It.
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby duckhunt » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:17 pm

Best suggestion i can give is too use a artificial head, You can even buy them pre painted with eye's at least their won't be any skull shrinkage :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
duckhunt
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:54 pm

Did you cut a relief cut to invert the head? If you didn't, you will never fully succeed in getting all the flesh removed. when using the real skull, you need to cut the skull just above the jaw muscles to open up the brain cavity. You will need to scrapes away all the meat, and replace that the day of mounting with apoxie sculpt or clay.

The best advice has already been given. Use an artificial head, or cut the real bill away as you would if you were going to use an artificial head. If you fleshed properly, then you must have a flesher that will aid in the removal of the meat that is attached to the skull. With a Canvasback, you will definitely have shrinkage on the bill, but it's not out of the question to use the real deal.

I hope this helps
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum