problem skining

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

problem skining

Postby Joel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:29 pm

Had a problem skining a mallard today as I was skining it the darn thing started falling apart on me tore very easy this is the first puddle duck I have skined I have only skined divers . Was I being to rough? Or could there have been somthing wrong with the skin? I killed this duck myself and only been froze for about 4 weeks.
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby firebird » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:43 am

As common as they are, mallards are one of the tougher puddlers to skin. You must be very careful especially around the tail area and back over the rump! I would put them 3rd difficult after gw teal and wood ducks. Degreasing will give you fits as well...Some mallards are easier than others so keep trying-I would even suggest finishing that bird just for the practice, skin, sew up the holes and tears, degrease, wash and dry, practice, practice, practice and alittle patience. Good Luck
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby fowl minded » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:08 am

Joel, I've maybe had the same type of problem. As Firebird said, Mallards are typically tougher than divers. It's hard to say if you were too rough, or it was something else.
I've had 2 birds basically "crumble" as I tried to flesh them. One was a blue bill, one a mallard. Both, to the best of my knowledge, were handled properly in the field and frozen within hours; neither were frozen long..less than 6 mo. Literally, as I was fleshing them, they tore from nearly no contact. I believe my finger even went through the skin on one bird just holding it. It was a nightmare! One made it through the mounting process and came out...mmm...ok, the other helped fill a garbage bag.
I guess I'm not answering the question....just posting to see if this was your problem, and see if there's any answers??
fowl minded
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum